Shutdown/Start Up RRS feed

• Question

• Would anyone else find it helpful to be able to start the computer running home server remotely? I mean if your trying to access files from say a friends house what good is the home server if the computer that you are trying to access is turned off? Maybe there could be a way to turn it on via phoneline or internet.

Jake

Monday, March 19, 2007 7:02 PM

All replies

• If the computer in question is turned off then little short of a robotic arm to press the power switch will turn it on, however if it is in sleep mode then wake on LAN (If the PC in question supports it) could be used to wake it.

Gordon

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 12:10 AM
  •  Jake Rand wrote:

Would anyone else find it helpful to be able to start the computer running home server remotely? I mean if your trying to access files from say a friends house what good is the home server if the computer that you are trying to access is turned off? Maybe there could be a way to turn it on via phoneline or internet.

Jake

While a cool idea, the way the internet runs today that wouldn't really work.  First off, most of those types of requests are viewed as a security risk, or only for lans and don't travel well over the internet...  However, this does give me an idea...

You could have another computer running on your network serving a web-service on a different port.  When you access the web-service, it could then generate a wake on lan packet and send it to the server...  Kinda defeats the purpose of the server, but it'd work...  Besides, servers are generally meant to stay on 24/7...
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 2:10 AM
  • You can wake a computer (from sleep/hibernate/soft off) over the internet using simple Wake on Lan without the convoluted ideas above - I wrote such a program a few weeks ago.  You will need to do the same thing to wake a computer over the internet as you would for standard wake on lan only you will probably need to add a port forwarding rule to your home router.  I am constantly amused by the ability to be at school or work and be able to turn on my computers at home to get email/work/pictures/whatever remotely :)

You might find www.depicus.com a good starting point.  It talks about standard wake on lan and wake on lan over the internet.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 4:42 PM
  •  lanrongwen wrote:
     Jake Rand wrote:

Would anyone else find it helpful to be able to start the computer running home server remotely? I mean if your trying to access files from say a friends house what good is the home server if the computer that you are trying to access is turned off? Maybe there could be a way to turn it on via phoneline or internet.

Jake

While a cool idea, the way the internet runs today that wouldn't really work.  First off, most of those types of requests are viewed as a security risk, or only for lans and don't travel well over the internet...

Why not just tell WHS that you want to wake up a PC (it'd be a harmless HTTPS request), and then have the HS send the wake on lan request package? That way the actual request stays on your LAN, and you won't be able to initiate it unless you're actually logged in to the WHS remotely. No extra port forwarding required, either.

I'm hoping something like this is possible in the final release. Otherwise, the remote desktop features are useless for people who can't call someone at home and ask them to turn on the PC.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:22 PM
  • Paap - I agree that it would be great if such a feature were built into WHS, but I am not counting on it.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 4:07 AM