Power Pack ! RRS feed

• Question

• Downloaded the file and when I tried to install I received a alert that PP1 does not apply to the installed version of Server.

Ideas

Thanks

Frank

Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    With PP1 installed, when you add a drive the sequence has changed. You are now asked during the 'add' process, if you want to use this drive as a backup drive.
    There is no way at present, to designate an existing drive as a backup one, so you will either have to remove and re-add a dive, or attach another one to get the above choices.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:04 PM
  • frankjg said:

Downloaded the file and when I tried to install I received a alert that PP1 does not apply to the installed version of Server.

Ideas

Thanks

Frank

Can you open the Console and see what version it is?  You can find that by clicking on the Setttings button, Resources tab.  There will be version numbers there.  Please post the version number for each part listed.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:12 PM

All replies

• frankjg said:

Downloaded the file and when I tried to install I received a alert that PP1 does not apply to the installed version of Server.

Ideas

Thanks

Frank

Can you open the Console and see what version it is?  You can find that by clicking on the Setttings button, Resources tab.  There will be version numbers there.  Please post the version number for each part listed.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Guess I should have looked as it says WHS with Power Pack 1. So I was trying to install PP1 over itself and it refused.

What I was trying to do was see how I could backup the Server to a external USB Hd as I thought PP1 allowed this.

Thanks

Frank

Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:17 PM
  • frankjg said:

Guess I should have looked as it says WHS with Power Pack 1. So I was trying to install PP1 over itself and it refused.

What I was trying to do was see how I could backup the Server to a external USB Hd as I thought PP1 allowed this.

Thanks

Frank

Power Pack 1 does have the ability to backup shares to an external drive.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:26 PM
  • Thanks for your help. I have been looking for the place to run the backup but I see no menu for the provision. I do not have the external USB HD attached as yet for when I go the Server Storage Icon the ADD, Repair and Remove items in the menu bar are grayed out. This leads me to think that there is no way I can add the drive to the WHS.

Thanks

Frank

Kenmore, WA
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:56 PM
  • frankjg said:

Thanks for your help. I have been looking for the place to run the backup but I see no menu for the provision. I do not have the external USB HD attached as yet for when I go the Server Storage Icon the ADD, Repair and Remove items in the menu bar are grayed out. This leads me to think that there is no way I can add the drive to the WHS.

Thanks

Frank

Kenmore, WA

You need to connect the drive to the server, then go to the Server Storage tab and select that drive.  When you click Add, you will be given a choice of adding it to the storage pool or using it to backup your shares.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:02 PM
  • Hi,
    With PP1 installed, when you add a drive the sequence has changed. You are now asked during the 'add' process, if you want to use this drive as a backup drive.
    There is no way at present, to designate an existing drive as a backup one, so you will either have to remove and re-add a dive, or attach another one to get the above choices.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Colin:

Thanks a lot. I have added the USB drive and all the prompts appear just as you said they would.

Thanks again

Frank

Kenmore, WA

Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:15 PM