MnyCoreFiles RRS feed

• Question

• I post this item as a curiosity, as MSMoney is running fine. Some time ago the nifty little opening tune dah-dah-dag-DAH-dah-dah went missing. I discovered that the folder MnyCoreFiles has disappeared. The original installation was from the UK install file in the forum. I obviously don't want to poke around when everything is working but I did like that wee tune.

Dr AS

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:14 AM

All replies

• MnyCoreFiles will only show if you have enabled display of hidden files.
    In File Explorer: 
    View - Options - Change folder and search options - View - Show hidden files, folders and drives

You can add C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\sounds\launch.wav (and any other Money sounds you would like) to your Windows sound scheme.
    Right click the Speakers icon in your system tray, select Sounds, scroll down Program Events to the Microsoft Money section, select the event you would like a sound for and Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\sounds\ and select the relevant sound.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 12:18 PM
  • Hi DP

Yes I had got that far and have selected 'Show hidden folders'. Still no folder!

Dr AS

Dr AS

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 4:34 PM
  • You can paste

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\

into the box at the top of File Explorer/Windows Explorer.

If using a command window, you could cd into Microsoft Money 2005. Then type

cd mn*

That will get you into MNYCoreFiles.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:25 PM
  • For whatever perverse reason that we will never know since MSMoney is abandoned, the MnyCoreFiles have been designated as *System Files* .  You have to (temporarily)  uncheck _Hide Protected operating system files_  under Tools > Folder Options to see it.  Make sure to go back and recheck the box when you are finished.
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 3:57 AM
  • Thank you all. Dominic's suggestion was not quite enough but using the approach suggested by Cal or bob revealed the files. There is no 'launch' wav therein. If I fiddle about in the MSMoney settings menu it shows no sounds associated with operations. I have the option to so associate all sorts of Windows sounds but not the trad MSMoney set, which don't appear in the list, presumably because they are 'hidden'. I may, or may not, fiddle about some more. Cheers guys.

Dr AS

Friday, April 13, 2018 10:23 AM
  • The Money sound files are in the sounds subdirectory of MNYCoreFiles: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\sounds\ 
    Friday, April 13, 2018 10:30 AM
  • If you reinstall Money, it should restore the registry entries that add the money sounds back. If you change the Theme (background, colors), it will replace all the existing sounds with the new sounds that are defined for the new theme. This is the usual way that people lose the sounds.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Friday, April 13, 2018 2:31 PM