Suggestions: Searching your own posts; Number of threads per page RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I wonder whether there could be option that would allow me to search through my own posts. While I'm lucky, having a pretty unusual last name after all, I will find what I'm looking for most of all times, but still, it would be a LOT easier if I could restrict searches accordingly. Or am I missing out something ..?

Also, how about allowing users to specify how many threads they'd like to see per page, like 50 or 100 instead of the fixed 20.
    Cheers,
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:38 PM

All replies

• Hi folks,

FWIW - Beth Massi has posted a blog about how to use meta-information in search engines yesterday. Shouldn't it thus be easy to add this to the forum soft ..?

Cheers,
    Olaf
    http://blogs.intuidev.com
    Friday, February 19, 2010 9:33 AM
  • +1 could be used to reduce the number of alert subscriptions
    Personally I use alerts so I can search forum posts in my email box.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, February 26, 2010 2:55 AM
  • Hi folks,

FWIW - Beth Massi has posted a blog about how to use meta-information in search engines yesterday. Shouldn't it thus be easy to add this to the forum soft ..?

Cheers,
    Olaf
    http://blogs.intuidev.com

Thanks for the blog! It is good for reference.
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:21 AM
  • Does not work for me, only have 9 posts under my name.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Does not work for me, only have 9 posts under my name.

I use this tip sheet instead

So, this gives 40 results

meta:Search.MSForums.ThreadStarterUserName(Sheng Jiang �??�??)

this gives  15,700  results

meta:Search.MSForums.ThreadContributorUserName(Sheng Jiang �??�??)

Apologies if  WLMail + Community bridge + forum software mangles the UTF-8 for your name.   ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:43 PM
  • It looks like encoding issue. If I type my name in the search box in search engines I get a few results.

I guess it is a problem of Bing handling user input but this can probably avoided if the forum provide a form to fill and generate the correct links in UTF-8.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:00 PM
  • It looks like encoding issue. If I type my name in the search box in search engines I get a few results.

Sorry for the confusion.   I'll try again this time without the bridge.  And try to be more explicit.

Starting from this page.   In the Search this forum input area, not the BING search box, enter/paste:

meta:Search.MSForums.ThreadContributorUserName(Sheng Jiang 蒋晟)

Use the down arrow to select  Search all Microsoft forums.    Result: 2100 hits.

So, this demonstrates the difference between your production for the Microsoft brand of forum versus the one for MSDN which I think is what I must have searched earlier...

So, starting from your Microsoft profile I switched to your MSDN profile and just did the same search with BING.   Result:  13400 hits.    I wasn't sure a straight BING search would accept that search syntax.  Good to know that it does.

Well, this is annoying.   Evidently I was somewhere earlier which gave the sum of those two results as its own result.   Now I can't remember where that was.  ; ]

FYI

Robert
    ---
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:06 AM
  • Strange, I got 20000 results from if I don't remove %20%20site:microsoft.com at the end of query string. I think the meta syntax has something to do with the domain.

Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:42 PM