none
Server Lab set-up for MCSA (Primary DC on physical or virtual server???)

Question

• Hello, a little introduction;

I have been studying for my MCSA since the late summer.  So far I have passed my first test, the 70-410, however just a few weeks ago I missed the 70-411 test by a few questions.  I've come to realize I'm not utilizing my server lab at home enough for learning purposes.  After taking a few weeks off from studying to relax, I'm back to studying.

Deciding to start fresh, I have formatted my server lab's hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Server 2012 R2 evaluation, and started a virtual network.  I ran into some issues with WDS, and I did have issues with WDS previously.  My VMs will not get a response from the DHCP server for the WDS server's address to initialize PXE install.

My question is this, should my physical server be set up as a primary domain controller for the best utilization, and use an internal virtual switch for all of the VMs to talk to the physical server?  Previously (and currently) I've used a virtual domain controller that also had AD DS, DNS, DHCP and the WDS server roles installed.  Thinking something with the virtual switch might have to do with the WDS server, I'm interested in trying to set the physical server as the main DC and try to do a virtual machine PXE boot that way.

Any suggestions would be appreciated it.  Thanks

Sunday, January 8, 2017 5:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It's okay to have all those services running in a VM, in a test environment like yours, and it will work. Having all VM's on the same private switch will be sufficient, there is no need for involving the host, unless required. Have in mind that you have to change VM boot order to PXE boot. WIN7 clients requires legacy NIC to do that.

Did you set this one : Option 60 = client identifier. You should set this to the string PXEClient. Note that this only applies if DHCP is on the same server as Windows Deployment Services. ( https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732351(v=ws.10).aspx#Using ). Also very that WDS is set up to respond to ANY client.

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

Help the forum: Monitor(alert) your threads and vote helpful replies or mark them as answer, if it helps solving your problem.

Sunday, January 8, 2017 6:03 AM
  • oki,

Having multi homed domain controllers will only give headache, so don't do that  :)

It might also have confused the deployment process, who knows. RRAS is the way to for routing between your vm's and the world.

You might want to check the dhcp log for any issues, and maybe install wireshark or similar to troubleshoot the dhcp process

Boot.wim will be loaded after the pxe boot has initialized.

/\

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

Help the forum: Monitor(alert) your threads and vote helpful replies or mark them as answer, if it helps solving your problem.

Sunday, January 8, 2017 4:10 PM
  • Ah, I thought of that but I assumed you would already have noticed :)

When you configure WDS, it will set the service to automatic startup. How ever, my experience is that it will not always start. So you might look into service recovery...

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

Monday, January 9, 2017 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It's okay to have all those services running in a VM, in a test environment like yours, and it will work. Having all VM's on the same private switch will be sufficient, there is no need for involving the host, unless required. Have in mind that you have to change VM boot order to PXE boot. WIN7 clients requires legacy NIC to do that.

Did you set this one : Option 60 = client identifier. You should set this to the string PXEClient. Note that this only applies if DHCP is on the same server as Windows Deployment Services. ( https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732351(v=ws.10).aspx#Using ). Also very that WDS is set up to respond to ANY client.

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

Sunday, January 8, 2017 6:03 AM
  • Jesper,

Thanks for the quick response.  Option 60 as automatically set on the DHCP as part of the DHCP installation when it asked if this WDS role was being installed on a DHCP server.  I've doubled and triple checked all my options in the Hyper-V settings for the VMs.  I've also tried using both Gen1 and Gen2 VMs, as I have read that people had better luck with Gen1.

On Gen2 I would get the PXE-E18 Server Response Timeout.  On Gen1, I get PXE-E51 which I believe is the same or pretty similar error, not getting a response from DHCP.

At this point I've tried messing around with numerous settings in both WDS and DHCP that I'm going to delete my virtual Domain Controller server (because like a newbie I forgot to use snapshots before installing or making changes to both) and start fresh again.  I wonder if because I had two network adapters on the virtual DC (one private, one external) may be causing some issues that I will just set up a private virtual network first before I allow the network to be on the internet through the RRAS on the virtual DC.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Zach

Sunday, January 8, 2017 3:07 PM
  • One more thing, I'm trying to use PXE boot to install Windows 10 Enterprise Eval that I downloaded from Microsoft, not sure if that makes a difference.  my Boot.wim file came from a Windows 10 ISO.  Should I try a Windows 7 or 8 boot.wim file instead?

Sunday, January 8, 2017 3:12 PM
  • oki,

Having multi homed domain controllers will only give headache, so don't do that  :)

It might also have confused the deployment process, who knows. RRAS is the way to for routing between your vm's and the world.

You might want to check the dhcp log for any issues, and maybe install wireshark or similar to troubleshoot the dhcp process

/\

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

Sunday, January 8, 2017 4:10 PM
  • oki,

/\

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

After I submitted my last comment, I realized it's not a boot.wim issue as of now.  I felt stupid for saying that haha.

I will be clearing out my Hyper-V VMs on the physical server shortly, and starting over.  Will keep it a private network only until I can get WDS to function.  Once I do, I'll install RRAS on the virtual server and install an externally connected network adapter.  I appreciate your help in this.

I will update this thread later today or tomorrow once I get somewhere with my new virtual network.

Thanks,
    Zach

Sunday, January 8, 2017 6:13 PM
  • Wow, I feel like an idiot.  I don't think I ever started the WDS Service the first time going through this.  Once I started it up, and then gave "everyone" read/write access to the wim files and the iso file (a suggestion I read in another forum), I was able to get it working on both of the Gen2 and Gen1 test VMs.

Discovered this missed step, after starting all over again, when I got AD DS, DNS and DHCP installed, I decided to go back to my TestOut videos to watch the WDS instructional videos.  I forgot that the WDS service isn't automatically started when you install it, and that you must start it after installation.  That black box should have been a clue but I was working late last night on this and must have missed it in my tiredness.

Thanks again for your help.  Now I can move on to the next step of capture images :)

Monday, January 9, 2017 12:28 AM
  • Ah, I thought of that but I assumed you would already have noticed :)

When you configure WDS, it will set the service to automatic startup. How ever, my experience is that it will not always start. So you might look into service recovery...

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

Monday, January 9, 2017 6:58 AM