Should I use Windows Update (even Microsoft Update) for WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to run Windows Update presents me with the suggestion to "get Microsoft Update today!" or to install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1.

Will this work with WHS?

Thank you

Hajue

Monday, March 5, 2007 6:50 PM

Answers

• Windows Updates for WHS are handled automatically when it is set to do so from within the WHS console. There's a section in the config area where you can tell it to do automatic updates, etc. You shouldn't need to go to the Update site manually.

- Jim
    Monday, March 5, 2007 6:52 PM

All replies

• Windows Updates for WHS are handled automatically when it is set to do so from within the WHS console. There's a section in the config area where you can tell it to do automatic updates, etc. You shouldn't need to go to the Update site manually.

- Jim
    Monday, March 5, 2007 6:52 PM
  • Although it is less common now...

What if the update requires a restart? How does WHS handle this? Does the console have the funcionality to alert the remote user that a restart of the server is required or does WHS just reboot when required and drop the connections of all users of shared folders?

--
    Regards,
    Neale NOON

Monday, March 5, 2007 7:13 PM
  • Maintenance tasks like applying updates occur at 1:00 AM (or whenever you define the maintenance/backup window to be on your WHS) If a reboot is required, it happens at that time.
    Monday, March 5, 2007 10:36 PM
  • Keep in mind that WHS is "beta" WUS or MUS has never heard of it and it just does not work today.  But update service are on by default in WHS.  I have no clue yet but my guess is the server will reboot itself when updates that require it come down.

Still......Grey

Monday, March 5, 2007 11:21 PM
  • I had to wait for an update during my install.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:01 AM
  •  Still Grey wrote:

Keep in mind that WHS is "beta" WUS or MUS has never heard of it and it just does not work today.  But update service are on by default in WHS.  I have no clue yet but my guess is the server will reboot itself when updates that require it come down.

Still......Grey

Actually, WU and MU do work on WHS. WHS is software added on top of Windows Server 2003 so you will currently get updates for Windows Server 2003.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:05 AM