Shut down in the new Windows & Beta RRS feed

• Question

• First, I need a direct answer if anyone who is running the Windows Live one Care, Both Trail or Subscription, are having any difficulty in having the program stop running after it starts, and may I remind all reply's to my question, I have tried the 4 troubleshooting steps recommended by live one care support from their support experts, even the start, stop in command prompt as well as trying the windows compatibility mode for operation in a previous version of Windows. All serious replies requested. Thank you
    Monday, February 9, 2009 7:17 PM

Answers

• Installation of One Care on Windows 7 is not supported. This is explained in Steve's announcement in the install and activate folder:
    Windows 7 - Not Supported by OneCare!by Stephen Boots on Monday, January 12, 2009 7:15:29 AM
    With the wide release of Windows 7 beta, many people are discovering that OneCare fails to install on Windows 7 or that OneCare stops working if it is installed and the operating system is upgraded from Vista to Windows 7.

The installation requirements for OneCare - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/3/helpsupport/requirements.htm - clearly state what operating systems OneCare can be installed on.

Microsoft Windows XP (Home Edition, Professional, Media Center Edition, or Tablet PC Edition) with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later, or Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate) operating system (OneCare does not support the Windows XP Professional 64-bit operating system)

This is not likely to change, since OneCare is in maintenance mode with no new releases for functionality planned. See the announcement here: Sticky: Announcement 11-18-08

So, if you plan to test Windows 7 - be sure to uninstall OneCare prior to upgrading from Vista and don't try to install it to Windows 7. There have been reports of people using Compatibility mode to get OneCare installed and running, but I would strongly recommend that you use an alternative security program that is designed to run on Windows 7. Security software needs to be aware of the environment that it is running in for it to be effective.

-steve

Jim
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:26 PM

All replies

• I'm a little confused by the title of your post. What version of Windows are you having this One Care issue on?
    Jim
    Monday, February 9, 2009 10:59 PM
  • I originally had Vista Sp1 Home Edition..I now have the test version 7100 Build, Windows & Beta. And yes, there will be compatibility issues, but take into consideration that Microsoft is piggybacking on top of Vista using some, if not most of it's Drivers........
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:32 PM
  • Installation of One Care on Windows 7 is not supported. This is explained in Steve's announcement in the install and activate folder:
    Windows 7 - Not Supported by OneCare!by Stephen Boots on Monday, January 12, 2009 7:15:29 AM
    With the wide release of Windows 7 beta, many people are discovering that OneCare fails to install on Windows 7 or that OneCare stops working if it is installed and the operating system is upgraded from Vista to Windows 7.

The installation requirements for OneCare - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/3/helpsupport/requirements.htm - clearly state what operating systems OneCare can be installed on.

Microsoft Windows XP (Home Edition, Professional, Media Center Edition, or Tablet PC Edition) with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later, or Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate) operating system (OneCare does not support the Windows XP Professional 64-bit operating system)

This is not likely to change, since OneCare is in maintenance mode with no new releases for functionality planned. See the announcement here: Sticky: Announcement 11-18-08

So, if you plan to test Windows 7 - be sure to uninstall OneCare prior to upgrading from Vista and don't try to install it to Windows 7. There have been reports of people using Compatibility mode to get OneCare installed and running, but I would strongly recommend that you use an alternative security program that is designed to run on Windows 7. Security software needs to be aware of the environment that it is running in for it to be effective.

-steve

Jim
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Thank you for a prompt reply to my question. I did get it to work briefly with the compatibility mode using the Vista platform. I will not uninstall this software as of yet. I am still subscribed to the trial version and will await an update from Microsoft as to when they will develope a working version in the final release to Windows 7. Again, I thank you for your professional answer, John
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:37 PM
  • John, there will not be an update to OneCare to allow it to work in Windows 7. Morro will be available as a free antivirus solution in the 2nd half of this year from Microsoft. It will be built on the same engine and have signatures supplied by the same team that supply signatures to OneCare, Defender, and ForeFront.

I suggest that you remove OneCare from the Windows 7 machine and install a different compatible product. Avast reportedly works, as does the AVG free version.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:21 PM
  • I will take your suggestion under advisement. My windows firewall and windows defender are sufficient and I use windows advance care pro to stabilize and detect malware, trojans and active viruses plus spyware. Should I install the recommended additional virus programs?
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:34 PM
  • I don't know what Windows Advance Care Pro is. If it offers virus protection, then you need do nothing. I simply offered suggestions if you were not using anything other than OneCare and it was failing as expected.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:59 PM
  • the software I mention would be a great product for you to take under consideration and evaluate. It is becoming a well sort after program with downloads running 3 to 1 on comparable software's, such as Registry Cure and PC Doctor, Which I both installed and have paid subscriptions too. I originally used this software for performance enhancements to Vista, which needed all the help it could get. But when I first tried " Advance System Care V 3, Free edition, which at 75% program enhancement, Vista's performance and stability equal out and became very manageable in respects to corrupt registry and failing optimization. Now with the Professional Version installed, It is keeping Vista's sub base along with the W7 Beta build running smoothly together as a team, instead of canceling each other combine features. Anyway, Steve, Give it a shot. I have come to respect your knowledge and wisdom. Very refreshing for a change.....  
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:43 AM
  • I'm glad that the program is working well for you and thanks for the recommendation and the kind words. I tend to be pretty skeptical about any program that promises to take care of the registry and tweaking Windows settings. Of course, we know that these can be useful if another program has made a mess of the operating system through a poorly executed install or uninstall routine. I tend to deal with those situations manually, though.
    Take care and enjoy testing Windows 7.
    -steve
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:26 PM