4.0 Rollup 14: Error Adding Multiple Users RRS feed

• Question

• I am tryingt o run the wizard to add multiple users to the CRM server.  I get to the point where it asks for the security role(s) to assign, I click 'next', it spins for a few seconds, then throws this error:

Unknown error (0x80005000)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Unknown error (0x80005000)

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x80005000): Unknown error (0x80005000)]
      System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail) +557
      System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind() +44
      System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject() +42
      System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection.PopulateList() +31
      System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection..ctor(DirectoryEntry entry, String propertyName) +97
      System.DirectoryServices.PropertyCollection.get_Item(String propertyName) +172
      System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.PropertyManager.GetPropertyValue(DirectoryContext context, DirectoryEntry directoryEntry, String propertyName) +72

[ActiveDirectoryOperationException: Unknown error (0x80005000)]
      System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.PropertyManager.GetPropertyValue(DirectoryContext context, DirectoryEntry directoryEntry, String propertyName) +578510
      System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.DirectoryEntryManager.ExpandWellKnownDN(WellKnownDN dn) +258
      System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetDirectoryEntry() +39
      Microsoft.Crm.Application.Utility.ActiveDirectoryUtility.get_RootDomain() +293
      Microsoft.Crm.Application.Pages.Business.Users.AddUsers.DomainsAndGroupsPage.ConfigurePage() +75
      Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.AppUIPage.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +28
      System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +108
      System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3394

Basic Server & Client Information:
    What the End User would have seen:
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:06 AM

All replies

•  The error is definitly tell us there are active directory errors.

Do you have similar problems adding a single user?

Enable Tracing and run the multiple user creation routine again and perhaps we can get more information.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907490

But I do suspect AD issues.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 1:15 AM
  • I do not get any errors adding a single user, that works fine.  I enabled tracing and got the following:

==================================

# CRM Tracing Version 2.0
    # LocalTime: 2010-12-01 07:28:03.7
    # Categories:
    # CallStackOn: No
    # ComputerName: CRM
    # CRMVersion: 4.0.7333.3135
    # DeploymentType: OnPremise
    # ScaleGroup:
    # ServerRole: AppServer, AsyncService, DiscoveryService, WebService, ApiServer, HelpServer, DeploymentService

[2010-12-01 07:28:03.7] Process: w3wp |Organization:92ae3f05-4374-4a76-86f3-58dedc44f928 |Thread:    3 |Category: Application |User: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 |Level: Error | ErrorInformation.LogError
    >MSCRM Error Report:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Error: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.

Error Message: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Error Details: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.

Source File: Not available

Line Number: Not available

Request URL: http://crm.lkm.sungardps.lcl/SPS/Biz/Users/AddUsers/DomainsAndGroupsPage.aspx

Stack Trace Info: [COMException: Unknown error (0x80005000)]
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail)
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind()
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject()
       at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection.PopulateList()
       at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection..ctor(DirectoryEntry entry, String propertyName)
       at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyCollection.get_Item(String propertyName)
       at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.PropertyManager.GetPropertyValue(DirectoryContext context, DirectoryEntry directoryEntry, String propertyName)

[ActiveDirectoryOperationException: Unknown error (0x80005000)]
       at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.PropertyManager.GetPropertyValue(DirectoryContext context, DirectoryEntry directoryEntry, String propertyName)
       at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.DirectoryEntryManager.ExpandWellKnownDN(WellKnownDN dn)
       at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetDirectoryEntry()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Utility.ActiveDirectoryUtility.get_RootDomain()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Pages.Business.Users.AddUsers.DomainsAndGroupsPage.ConfigurePage()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.AppUIPage.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

[HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.]
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at ASP.sps_biz_users_addusers_domainsandgroupspage_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:38 PM
  • Look at that.  A user w/o a GUID.

I've had problem like this where the CRM instance was fine until I attempted to Import data.  When I did, the MMC blew up with a similar error.    WHat was the problem?   The data being fed to the routine being run in CRM.    The problem is the Data.

My educated hunch is that a User account object in LDAP has a problem.   It happens, even to machine account objects in AD.

Now will it break with two or three.  And vary the user accounts.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:23 PM
  • I'm just the CRM developer, not the AD admin, so I don't have admin leverl access to AD.  Any tips I can send to the AD admins to search for the problem account?

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Seems like we are looking at the AD account rights more and more.

I ran into that problem with an international WAN that was configured as one domain.  But there were many OUs and different accounts had different access to the AD.

Are your rights administration to the servers involved only?

Or perhaps only to anyone in the OU used the CRM instance?

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Not sure I understand the questions?  I don't have anything to do with the AD layout or accounts, I have to rely on the IT admins to configure all that.

I know that we have a complex AD with multiple OUs across different sites. 

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:20 PM
  • Exactly.  They have to be involved.   The official word on CRM and AD is that it is not as dependant as it used to be.

Well, that is true to an extent, but CRM still uses AD rights.   So I would get the installation /deployment document from the Microsoft downloads site for CRM 4.0 to them.

The fact that you can add one user indicates that the routine works, but it chokes on many.

I am tired of asking this but you did apply the rollups, right?

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:32 PM
  • Valid question...and yes I am on Rollup 14.  Check the title of the thread... :)

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:35 PM
  • I should have been more specific.   Was the latest rollup installed after the subsequent rollups were deployed?

Was the account with deployment administrator account used to deploy the rollup?

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Hi ChrisH5491,

hi Curtis,

We have the same problem in two different client environments after applying Rollup 14. Any solution for this so far?

Regards,

Jens

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Not really, seems to be a problem with AD.  In the mean time I just added the users one at a time.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:46 PM
  • I had a similiar issue a while back with adding bulk users, however adding single users worked fine. Went over all the permissions and they were correct as well.

found this reply from Tiian Van Niekerk resolved the issue.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crm/thread/3f03eb4a-e8c0-4ee9-9bbe-7f2253140cca#140d74e8-a477-4b57-b399-1650421a7008

Basically had to specify the Preffered DC in the registry of the CRM Server, once it was pointing to the correct DC the bulk user wizard worked.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Yes, this works BUT>>>>>>>>>

This this post should tell you something that will effect you latter.

The fix is as pointed out in the older post:

Please see below for the solution :

If you do have more than one, please add a String: "PreferredDC" to the MSCRM hive in the registry on the CRM Server (HKLM - software - Microsoft - MSCRM) Add in the FQDN of the domain controller within your environment which holds the user domain accounts. (We got this far at the AA)

Change the Search order in the registry of the CRM server and point to Your Primary Domain Controller. To do this make the following registry change: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]"SearchList"= DCName. Change the "DCName" to your Primary Domain Controllers name You should use the FQDN of the Domain Controller where the DNS Server is held and where the CRM Domain   accounts are. You MUST reboot the CRM Server in order for these change to take effect.

NEVERTHELESS..........  This hardcodes your CRM instance to one DC.

Now if that DC is busy, what happens then. 

This process is akin to using your LMHOST file to define which Domain Controller to use.  If there is a problem, all bets are off.

I encounterd the inability of adding even single users in one instance on a Very large Single domain forest that spanned the Globe.

I used the above technique.  But it shows that there are things wrong with your network.

Use this for now to solve your problem but don't rest until you have fixed your forest.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:43 AM
  • Hi Curt,

thanks for the update and the hints. This is at least a workaround. One thing I still don't understand: how do determine, whether this is a AD issue or a CRM Rollup 14 related issue? We only have this issue in environments with Rollup 14 ...

Regards,

Jens

Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:48 AM
  • Well, if you sniff the packets while attempting to make a group of users, you may see the call to a DC that has a problem.

I just wish I have all the changes memorized in Rollup 14 /:>

You point is Valid but often I have seen that the code reveals a weakness rather than causes a weakness.   It's not perfect. I have seen recently with the beta that things cold go wrong.  In that case it was the network, but the CRM deployment program was not designed to reveal that problem.

Perhaps the next rollup.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:42 PM