Can't recover my backups! (Error: "Cannot connect to backup services on the server") RRS feed

• Question

• Anybody else getting this message recently?
    "Cannot connect to backup services on the server"

Last night, I was trying to recover a backup. Everything was going fine, the backup mounted correctly, I was recovering the files, and all of the sudden, error!

Well, no problem, right? Just try again...

Not really. Now I get the error "Cannot connect to backup services on the server" everytime I try to mount the backup... (it gets to 81% and then fails...)

- Rafael
    Friday, March 20, 2009 5:13 PM

All replies

• rsagula said:

Anybody else getting this message recently?
    "Cannot connect to backup services on the server"

Last night, I was trying to recover a backup. Everything was going fine, the backup mounted correctly, I was recovering the files, and all of the sudden, error!

Well, no problem, right? Just try again...

Not really. Now I get the error "Cannot connect to backup services on the server" everytime I try to mount the backup... (it gets to 81% and then fails...)

- Rafael

What operating system are you running on the client and what versions are listed in the Windows Home Server Console if you go settings>resources?

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 20, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Client is WinXP Home. WHS Console version is 6.0.1800.0.

- Rafael
    Friday, March 20, 2009 5:40 PM
  • rsagula said:

Client is WinXP Home. WHS Console version is 6.0.1800.0.

- Rafael

Can you provide me with all the version numbers in the console?

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 20, 2009 5:44 PM
  • sorry about that... here are all the versions:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

- Rafael
    Friday, March 20, 2009 5:50 PM
  • rsagula said:

sorry about that... here are all the versions:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

- Rafael

Thanks!

Can you submit a bug on Connect and include client and server CABs? We will need to review your logs in order to investigate this. It appears that the Feb QFE did not resolve this issue for you.

Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 20, 2009 5:58 PM
  • what is this "Feb QFE"?

I see other replies where you mention this, but you never provided a link or instructions on how to install it... (or even rollback)

Is there a page describing this QFE? What was in it?

- Rafael
    Friday, March 20, 2009 6:03 PM
  • rsagula said:

what is this "Feb QFE"?

I see other replies where you mention this, but you never provided a link or instructions on how to install it... (or even rollback)

Is there a page describing this QFE? What was in it?

- Rafael

The KB article is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961030

It's an automatic push by Windows Update. The .36 in the Backup and Restore version number indicates that it is installed on your server.

To uninstall it, you would need to TS/RDP into your server and go:

Start>control panel>ADD/REMOVE programs>check the show updates box and then remove this update.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 20, 2009 6:09 PM
  • I think I found the "81%" bug in Connect. It also doesn't provide any instructions on how to resolve the issue. It simply says "Resolved"...  (https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=390003)

If it's supposed to be resolved, where can I find the instructions to fix my setup?

I'll work on the CABs tonight... (BTW, have you thought about creating a button "Send CABS to Microsoft" in WHS Console? I think it would help quite a bit, since "send us the CABs" seems to be the single most popular answer to difficult support questions anyway...)

- Rafael
    Friday, March 20, 2009 6:10 PM
  • rsagula said:

I think I found the "81%" bug in Connect. It also doesn't provide any instructions on how to resolve the issue. It simply says "Resolved"...  (https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=390003)

If it's supposed to be resolved, where can I find the instructions to fix my setup?

I'll work on the CABs tonight... (BTW, have you thought about creating a button "Send CABS to Microsoft" in WHS Console? I think it would help quite a bit, since "send us the CABs" seems to be the single most popular answer to difficult support questions anyway...)

- Rafael

Not all 81% bugs are the same.  This bug was probably fixed by the February QFE and this is why I asked you to submit a new bug.

When you install the toolkit, it creates a set of buttons in the console and one of them sends CABs [titled "send logs"] at least for the server. We do not do this for the client. You do still need to provide us with the unique CAB numbers manually as these change for each bug.

Thank you
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 20, 2009 6:14 PM
  • rsagule -

I have the same problem and submitted a bug (ID 422059) 10 days ago and received what seemed to be a canned response, haven't heard anything since so just a heads up to that.  Maybe the more people who open up bugs to this problem will get on someone's radar sooner.

Friday, March 20, 2009 7:12 PM
  • jroryl said:

rsagule -

I have the same problem and submitted a bug (ID 422059) 10 days ago and received what seemed to be a canned response, haven't heard anything since so just a heads up to that.  Maybe the more people who open up bugs to this problem will get on someone's radar sooner.

Your bug is on the radar. It is still active and is currently assigned to a developer. The response you received was an acknowledgement that we received the bug. 

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 20, 2009 7:47 PM