none
Moving Hard Drives From 1 Controller to another RRS feed

• Question

• Hello and thanks for reading my post.

I have WHS running on an Intel Motherboard which has 8 SATA Slots, four of which are the Intel chipset and four of which are the Marvel Chip set.  I have 6 SATA Hard drives and 2 SATA DVD-ROM Drives connected and all works great.

Id like to install an ATTO PCI Card which supports 16 SATA devices and connect two 8-bay Enclosures to the Atto via a total of 4 connectors.  My question is will the following work?

1) Power down WHS, Install the card and power up.
    2) Install the drivers for the card and reboot.
    3) Power down the server, pull the 5 internal hard drives out of the case leaving just the boot drive
    4) Insert the 5 drives into one of the 8-bay enclosures and reboot

I have no doubts WHS will booot because I'm not messing with the OS Drive but will it find the 5 drives on the new controller and use them?

Why am I doing this - I'm out of space and need more expansion. And do't want towaste 1T drives by replacing them with 2T.  Also 6 drives and 2 internal DVD drives is generating too much heat

Thanks

Max
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:34 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server pretty much won't care as long as the drives don't disappear entirely. Some users have had problems when switching from USB to SATA/IDE, however, I presume because drive identifiers changed.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 26, 2009 1:25 AM