Backup Service not Running, Drive Extender Service Not Running RRS feed

• Question

• I have a persistent problem which I am unable to resolve.

Recently I decided to add an additional 1TB drive to the WHS and I added it to the pool of drives.  All was working OK.   Although there are files in the User Folders, Folder Duplication is off.  No files or data had been written to the drive that I was aware of.  I subsequently decided I wanted to have the drive non-pooled so it could be written to as a separate network drive independent of the WHS backup pool.

I ran the disk wizard to remove the drive from the pool.  The wizard completed without errors.  Since then however, when WHS starts neither the Backup Service nor the Drive Extender Service will start.  

The Event Viewer shows the following Application error (it appears twice in the same boot up sequence, it's both the first and last entry); :

"Faulting application whsarch.exe, version 6.0.2423.0, faulting module deutil.dll, version 6.0.2423.0, fault address 0x0001a2cc."

If I exit the console I then get this window and subsequent information:

• Edited by BobC_01 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:49 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:49 AM

Answers

• In the end had to resort to a Server Reinstallation.
    • Marked as answer by BobC_01 Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:59 PM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:58 PM

All replies

• I have re-added drive back to the pool.  Same issue.  Run CHKDSK, Backup repair and this problem persists.  Any ideas how to solve it?
    • Edited by BobC_01 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:55 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:50 AM
  • I followed the suggestions in this post to manually remove the missing disks and I also manually removed the mount point using DISKPART.  The console now correctly displays the single drive in the system after I also physically unplugged the 2nd drive.

However, after a reboot the services are still not running.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:22 PM
  • In the end had to resort to a Server Reinstallation.
    • Marked as answer by BobC_01 Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:59 PM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:58 PM