uninstall invalid vista enterprise and install new OS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I am unable to use my laptop because it cannot validate Vista even though I have a legal copy which was installed when I bought the laptop.  I have inputted the product key at the bottom of my Toshiba Tecra but to no avail.  At this point, I really don't have the time to mess around with it.  Since I was able to obtain licenses for Vista Business and XP Professional through MSDNAA at my school, I'd like to uninstall the version of Vista and re-install either Vista Business or XP Pro.  However, since I just started taking computer courses and learning about the ins and outs of Windows, I'm hoping someone on this forum can help.  

1.  If I have a toshiba techra M3 with 1 MB of RAM and 60G hard drive, should I install Vista Business or XP Pro?  BTW, I'll also need to install SQL Server 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 after I fix the OS problem. 

2.  How do I install the OS if I cannot access the start button?  the only thing the laptop gives me is IE.  I don't want to lose the data I already have on my laptop.

thanks in advance.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• go on IE and type in X: (replacing X with the letter of your CD drive, after you put in the CD, of course) then, run setup.exe or autorun.exe
    • Proposed as answer by motherboardlove Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:18 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:59 PM
  • I recomend XP Pro. 1GB of RAM is not quite enought for all of those apps on Vista. Vista hogs memory.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:00 AM
  • Hello Lifelonglearner,

Thank you for visiting the Genuine Advantage forum.  Your post is out of scope for the Genuine Advantage forum as well as out of our expertise. I suggest posting your question to the “Windows Vista discussion groupshere:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx

Thank you.

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:22 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:21 AM