how will switching from v1 to Vail operate RRS feed

• Question

• I've just installed v1 on a box. It has about 300GB of data on it now, including backups of 6 PC's.

How will the process of changing the OS to Vail work? I don't want to lose any data, especially the backups.

Karl H.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:58 AM

Answers

• Because the backup database format has changed somewhat from V1 to Vail, there is only one way to "upgrade" if you don't want to lose your current backups. You will have a Vail server, and a V1 server.

Ignoring the backup database, an "upgrade" will require you to back up your shares (however you like), flatten your Windows Home Server box, install Vail, and then copy all your data back to your server. There will be no "upgrade in place" option, both because of the move from 32 bit to 64 bit OS and because the data allocation algorithm is very different in DE V2.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:03 AM

All replies

• Because the backup database format has changed somewhat from V1 to Vail, there is only one way to "upgrade" if you don't want to lose your current backups. You will have a Vail server, and a V1 server.

Ignoring the backup database, an "upgrade" will require you to back up your shares (however you like), flatten your Windows Home Server box, install Vail, and then copy all your data back to your server. There will be no "upgrade in place" option, both because of the move from 32 bit to 64 bit OS and because the data allocation algorithm is very different in DE V2.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Ken, just to extend the question: backups made with V1 will be able to restore to VAIL?

Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:15 AM
  • On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:15:26 +0000, zebrafilm wrote:

Ken, just to extend the question: backups made with V1 will be able to restore to VAIL?

No.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:26 AM
  • If you mean the backup database, no, as Paul said. If you mean a server backup disk, connect it to your Vail server and copy disk to share. That's what's available today. It would be nice if Microsoft (or someone else; any add-in developers in the house?) were to create an add-in for Vail that would let you connect a disk and do a little manual mapping of disk folders to shares, then run the copy for you (probably through some command line tool like robocopy).
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:36 PM