none
WHS and Using a Non-HomeServer Domain Name RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to use a non-Homeserver domain name in WHS?

I'd like to be able to use my Willdexter.com domain (either instead of or in addition to)

If I try to add the Willdexter.com
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:37 AM

All replies

• Given your posting looks not complete, I can only assume what you wanted to do.
    You cannot use a not supported domain directly (and that would also bring up error messages or warnings due to certificate only provided for homeserver.com by Microsoft).
    But it is possible to configure the homeserver.com domain on the system and use a dyndns service to register your routers IP address (if it supports this) with the wanted domain.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, August 10, 2009 9:12 AM
  • You can manually configure your domain to point to your IP address. You can also use a dynamic DNS provider to automatically repoint your domain assuming you have a DHCP assigned address (you'll have to install a client tool somewhere on your network, probably your server, or you'll have to configure your router to do this). But you'll wind up with a certificate error when you try to access your custom domain, unless you purchase and install an SSL certificate yourself. This is a task that's not impossible, but it's also not particularly easy for someone without experience, and it has the possibility of causing problems with your server if you get it wrong.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:44 PM