Unhealthy Drive issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a couple of unhealthy drives per WHS.

First question - After running a repair and WHS not being able to repair the drive. Can I remove the drive and view the files on that drive on the WHS or another window based PC?

My scenerio -- After building the server - adding 12TB of hard drive space - duplication turned on - 1 hard drive registered as Unhealthy. I ran the WHS fix and it was successfull. Now a week later I have two more hard drives that register as unhealthy. I determined which drives were unhealthy and disconnected and removed the one. After removal of the hard drive I took it to a XP Pro based pc and connected it via a USB drive adapter. The drive shows up - no information is viewable, but windows states that 946gb of space is in use and 13gb availible. After that I assumed maybe the drive is only vieable in WHS, I then cloned the drive Using Acronis Home ver.11 to another identical 1TB HDD. After instalation the Hard drive still registered as Unhealthy. Any thoughts or insight??

Second question -- Removing a HDD using WHS. After running the WHS repair I tried running the Remove HDD feature since I still have sufficiant space. That process never finshed after 14 hours. Do I A) attempt again or B)try to transfer the data from the unhealthy drive? If B) is the best course of action how do I view the files on that HDD?

Thanks...

Monday, May 19, 2008 1:51 PM

Answers

•  Jamesheistand wrote:

First question - After running a repair and WHS not being able to repair the drive. Can I remove the drive and view the files on that drive on the WHS or another window based PC?

Yep.

Jamesheistand wrote:
    My scenerio -- After building the server - adding 12TB of hard drive space - duplication turned on - 1 hard drive registered as Unhealthy. I ran the WHS fix and it was successfull. Now a week later I have two more hard drives that register as unhealthy. I determined which drives were unhealthy and disconnected and removed the one. After removal of the hard drive I took it to a XP Pro based pc and connected it via a USB drive adapter. The drive shows up - no information is viewable, but windows states that 946gb of space is in use and 13gb availible. After that I assumed maybe the drive is only vieable in WHS, I then cloned the drive Using Acronis Home ver.11 to another identical 1TB HDD. After instalation the Hard drive still registered as Unhealthy. Any thoughts or insight??

You didn't have hidden files on so you can see them.  On a WHS system with more than one hard drive, it stores all of the actual files in a hidden folder called DE.

Jamesheistand wrote:
    Second question -- Removing a HDD using WHS. After running the WHS repair I tried running the Remove HDD feature since I still have sufficiant space. That process never finshed after 14 hours. Do I A) attempt again or B)try to transfer the data from the unhealthy drive? If B) is the best course of action how do I view the files on that HDD?

Thanks...

You may not have given it enough time.  One time I removed a 400 GB drive and it took about 6 hours.  I would try it again and be patient. Smile  (If you want, you can always logon to the server desktop and check to see if it's still moving files.)

• Marked as answer by Jamesheistand Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:16 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2008 7:32 PM

All replies

• I let the WHS drive removal process sit for at least 24 hours. It is very slow. I had 300 GB packed full of files, took at least the 24 hours.

You should be able to remove the drive itself and plug it into another system to retrieve your data. It is a standard NTFS partition. You may just need to give it a drive letter in Windows, it may not be assigned one. While its connected to another computer, use the chkdsk uilities and perhaps even the manufacturer's drive utilities to determine if its really "unhealthy" or not
    Monday, May 19, 2008 2:05 PM
  •  Jamesheistand wrote:

Yep.

Jamesheistand wrote:

You didn't have hidden files on so you can see them.  On a WHS system with more than one hard drive, it stores all of the actual files in a hidden folder called DE.

Jamesheistand wrote:

Thanks...

You may not have given it enough time.  One time I removed a 400 GB drive and it took about 6 hours.  I would try it again and be patient. Smile  (If you want, you can always logon to the server desktop and check to see if it's still moving files.)

• Marked as answer by Jamesheistand Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:16 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2008 7:32 PM