Suggestions A Few RRS feed

• Question

• (1). I would strongly suggest that WHS uses Anti-Virus mainly because it  accessible from the Internet.

(2). Why is it necessary to install the server console on all PC’s…?

1 PC should do it, and then just have client software to connect for the other PC’s.

(3). I find the Administration of WHS ok, but there should be an alternative for actually mapping drive letters.

(4). Hopefully a Family friendly interface for website design.

The ability to create your family website or Remote access site for WHS. This is one of the main reasons for the WHS

To be home friendly and or Family oriented.

Using the SDK for this is not for everyone an especially for those that like a more Family friendly design.

(5). A better way to move files from Server Console to the WHS server when file are on another server.

(6). (This would be good but because of WHS design to complex.)

Incorporate a mini Exchange Server
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 2:41 AM

All replies

• "Hopefully a Family friendly interface for website design.

The ability to create your family website or Remote access site for WHS. This is one of the main reasons for the WHS

To be home friendly and or Family oriented."

I couldn't agree more. Also I would add that it should be easier to change what ports are utilized in order to access the server from the web. Most ISP's unfortunately block the common ports which necessitates manualy configuring the ports from the IIS MMC which may be a bit daunting for the average user.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 4:58 PM
  •  The Old Guy wrote:

(6). (This would be good but because of WHS design to complex.) Incorporate a mini Exchange Server

I'd love an "Exchange Server Express" of sorts in WHS too, but as beta testers, we're not really Microsoft's target market.

The target market is the home user who wants something easy to backup and dump all of their stuff on. Most users won't mess around with DNS settings. Also, most home internet connections prohibit server usage, whether as a file server, web server, email server, etc.

If MS wants to do it, I'd pay more for an edition of WHS with that feature in it. Maybe 10 emails and calendars? That would differentiate the business market from the home market, flexible enough for home usage. Of course, it is probably very complex to code, and with the number of users using webmail nowadays, not worth it... MS is also probably trying to keep a good codebase that will be stable, rather than trying to make WHS be everything and the kitchen sink.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 8:20 PM
  • 2) Means I can sit down at any PC in the house and check it. What's the drawback? Only those who know the password can access it. If you want to, you can stop the system tray widget from loading, though you don't have its other features.

3) How would mapping drive letters help? (Genuine question.)

4) The SDK is not intended to be particularly family friendly Smile it's for creating addons for the console, rather than the website. You can edit the website files using any suitable tool. No doubt someone will create a dedicated one once WHS reaches market.

5) If both machines are on the same network, you just use the network shares. If you really want to, you can map drives.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 11:30 PM