OC shows presence unknown for users and we cannot send IM's RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I was finally able to get connected to my standard edition OCS test server. I can find the other users but when I add them as a contact the users show as presence unknown and I cannot send IM's to the other users. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    John Whelihan
    Systems Administrator
    College of Western Idaho
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:41 PM

Answers

• I know this may sound simple, but ensure that the contacts are being pulled from the address book instead of your local contacts folder.  I've seen this very often in that a contact was added from the user's contact list and it didn't work, but when the contact was pulled from the address book, everything worked fine.
    • Marked as answer by John Whelihan Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:37 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:02 PM

All replies

• John, I'd check the OCS event logs because it sounds like there may be a few services not running correctly. Do you remember if you assigned the server certificate in IIS manually? I think that missing that step might get you to this point.

You can also try running the validation wizards by right-clicking on the server object. Validating the Front-End and Web Components would be a good start.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 8:49 PM
  • I know this may sound simple, but ensure that the contacts are being pulled from the address book instead of your local contacts folder.  I've seen this very often in that a contact was added from the user's contact list and it didn't work, but when the contact was pulled from the address book, everything worked fine.
    • Marked as answer by John Whelihan Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:37 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Thanks Freak that was the issue.... once we pulled from the address book everything worked great!!!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:37 PM