Workflow to send email when Contact is modified with old and new info RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to create a Contact Entity based workflow to start when Records fields change. This workflow needs to send an email when certain contact record fields are modified but we need to include the old and the new information. How would one accomplish that? I mostly need help with figuring out how to get the previous data in the email.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

A handy solution is to create a new field for each of the desired fields. For example, if there is 10 fields which you want to email customer on change, then you have to create 10 new fields. Then, create a workflow which does the following step CONSEQUENTLY:

1- Send email to the customer and use the new value from the original field and the old field from the newly created field.

2- Set the newly created field to be the same as the original field.

Obviously it is recommended that the newly created field should not be visible by default.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

A handy solution is to create a new field for each of the desired fields. For example, if there is 10 fields which you want to email customer on change, then you have to create 10 new fields. Then, create a workflow which does the following step CONSEQUENTLY:

1- Send email to the customer and use the new value from the original field and the old field from the newly created field.

2- Set the newly created field to be the same as the original field.

Obviously it is recommended that the newly created field should not be visible by default.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:10 PM
  • You can get the data before update using the pre-image. Unlike plugins (simple configuration) pre-image is not available using OOB workflows. However, you can write custom workflow activity to get the pre-image. Here is a sample that you can refer. 

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

• Proposed as answer by Mamatha Swamy Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:10 PM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:10 PM
  • I think I follow but just want to verify.

1. I would create a new field for each of the desired fields.
    2. Create a custom workflow activity that will use pre-image data to add to those fields.
    3. Send email of old and new information

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, November 18, 2013 2:17 AM
  • Hi,

Please use plugin instead of workflow in case if you want to include old contact information.

You can register pre-image on the entity and can include those data in the notification you are sending.

Thank You,

Himanshu

Himanshu

Monday, November 18, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Thank you everyone. This was very useful and is what I was looking for.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:43 PM