none
Study guides for SQL Administration 70-432 RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting ready to sit my first SQL exam.  I have 12 years of experience in the server admin field (MCSE NT, MCSA 2000, MCSA 2003), so I know what to expect from these types of exams.  My current job is more SQL oriented.  I have two books left from a long-gone employee, the MS Press 70-432 and the Sybex book.  What I am concerned about is that the MS Press book, unlike most of the other MS Press books that Ive used over the years, appears to be written for someone already versed in SQL coding and does not reference the SQL Server Management Studio, which is what our company uses.  The Sybex is far better written and is what I am using.  Normally Ive used the MS Press exams enclosed with the book but this book is missing them.  Could someone provide some guidance on any recommended guides and test exams?  In addition, Ive never taken a "coding" type of exam.  Are you expected to type in the "code" or are you given multiple choices on code on how to back up a database for example?

Thanks,
    Brian

Brian Fink, MCSE

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• MeasureUp and Self Test Software provide 70-432 test exams which are recommended by Microsoft.

Collection 6369: Implementing and Maintaining Microsoft SQL Server 2008 is a great eLearning tool

Details of the types of question you should expect in an exam can be found here http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/CertGeneral/thread/47aedf10-ea1b-4628-a116-263760e4db50.  NDA forbids anyone providing details of the actual content and structure of any exam.

This and other SQL exams may ask questions which can be answered using T-SQL and/or SSMS therefore you will need to know and understand both T-SQL and SSMS.

With regards to your statement in relation to the 70-432 Self-Paced Training kit not referencing SSMS, this is not correct.  Here's one example pg 196 - PRACTICE 4 Create a Policy Category.  Here's another pg 326 - PRACTICE 1 Creating a security auditing trace.  There are many more 

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:32 PM
  • does it mean that if I do give the exam before the date of retirement and get certified, then after the date of retirement, that certificate will no longer be of any importance of credibility in the industry? Will it no longer prove my proficiency after the retirement date until and unless I give the updated exam? In other words, if I give the exam this year and get certified, will it be a waste?
    Network marketing
    Friday, July 20, 2012 9:20 AM
  • It doesn't mean that at all.

Certifications don't expire and just because an exam gets retired, doesn't mean that everyone is all of a sudden going to throw away SQL Server 2008 and instantaneously upgrade to SQL Server 2012.  There are still a lot of people using 2000 and 2005.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, July 20, 2012 9:24 AM