Windows 7 registration and support RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded my PC to Windows 7 about two months ago, been fine but now getting issues which seem to be related to a problem with Windows drivers.

I tried to register online to get some support but it tells me it does not recognise my code. The odd thing is the code numbers I can see do not match the format they show as an example so mine is: 5letters/numbers-5letters/numbers-5letters/numbers-5letters/numbers-5letters/numbers. Their example does not have that sort of product key.

The issue I am getting relates to Nvidia drivers which cannot be uninstalled or reinstalled. Windows will only load in safe mode, normal bootup results in frezzing after the logo or:

Stop: 0x000000116 nvlddmkm.sys

Another error code without a file was: 0x0000003B

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:39 PM

Answers

• What you need to enter in the support request form is the Product ID.  The Product ID is found at the bottom of the System Properties page and will be similar to this

Windows Product ID: 00371-835-1570744-85239 <-example Product ID

To view the System Properties page, click Start, right click on Computer and choose Properties.  Scroll to the bottom. 

The Product ID is generated at the time Windows is installed and recorded on the System Properties page.  It is the number used by Microsoft Support when you request help.  It is not the same as the 25-character Product Key which is used to activate your Windows license.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    • Edited by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:33 PM added "example PID" text
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:33 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:53 PM
    Answerer