One XML file won't sync properly - always causes file conflict (bug report) RRS feed

• Question

• https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=370816

One file, on my main PC, always generates a conflict.

The file is an events file from a Live Messenger plug-in, which stores all the user events (sign-ins etc.) in XML format.

The file is locked because it is written to regularly. That is not my issue with sync'ing.

The problem is, once the file is unlocked and Mesh tries to sync it, it generates a conflict.

The conflict never goes away. I am offered several versions of the file, and no matter how many times I tell it which one to keep, the conflict comes back.

Note that the conflict doesn't reappear immediately - it takes around ten minutes to come back. Remember, this only happens when I close Messenger and the file is unlocked, so there are no other changes happening during the ten minute periods where there is no conflict showing. Maybe the problem's in the back-end?

I can't give any repro steps, because: I have exactly the same setup on the laptop, with the same XML file being generated - and this is sync'd to the main PC without any incidents. So it's not a standard problem with this particular file. The only difference between the two is, the file that causes the conflict is 37mb, and the file that syncs fine is less than 1mb - not sure if that has any impact.

In essence, I close Messenger, which unlocks "recorded events.xml" on my main PC; it then disappears after Mesh tries to sync it.

tony
    Monday, September 29, 2008 8:58 PM

Answers

• Tony,

I have reviewed the information in your report and yes, you will most likely need to remove the parent folder.  I know this is a lot of headache for you and I apologize for this situation as it was not any fault of yours.  We work first to eliminate any possibility of data loss...so when unexpected badness happens on this scale we work towards data redundancy in the solution.  I hope the fact that you are not in a data loss situation is of some consolation to you.

Thanks again for being so patient and helping us work through this issue as it has unfolded.

Tim
    Program Manager | Live Mesh
    Monday, October 6, 2008 10:25 PM

All replies

• Are both machines running the same version of Live Messenger? Are they running the same operating system?
    Monday, September 29, 2008 11:27 PM
  • Hi GuyWithDogs.

No, good point. The main PC, the one with the file that gets conflicted, is XP Home SP3, and the laptop is Vista Home Premium SP1.

Both machines have the same version of Messenger and both run the same version of the plug-in.

Just to be really clear, both "recorded events" files live in different folders. One is in the main "my chat logs" folder, and all laptop chat logs, event logs etc. live in a subfolder of this called "laptop chat logs". So there's no issue of an actual conflict.

(I dunno why I keep it all - it's one of those quirks, like people who keep all their old Christmas cards, I guess!)

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 7:27 AM
  • Just had a bit of a disaster.

I filed the bug and got advice to remove the sync and recreate it (the files are all backed up).

I did this, and now every single file is coming up as a conflict.

There are thousands!

Basically, I re-created the sync at 08.08 on the main PC, where the bad file lives, and recreated it on the laptop at 08.12.

That's the problem that's being raised - Mesh is saying "file A was modified on 4 Oct 08 at 08.08" and "file A was also modified on 4 Oct 08 at 08.12 - which version do you want to keep?"

I've snapped some logs as soon as I dealt with the first 10 conflicts.

Is it worth opening a new bug? I'm gonna carry on dealing with the conflicts, cos I really do use the folder as a truly sync'd folder, so I need to sort it out :)

tony
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 7:38 AM
  • Also worth noting that the main PC is now sending 4.5gigs of data to the laptop (roughly the full size of the folder)

It looks like pretty much every file has come up as a conflict.

I'd plead again at this point for a few changes to file conflict management: 1) let the user decide if they want to be presented with more than 10 conflicts at once (every time I get conflicts, it's in the hundreds or thousands), 2) put the original file location in the details section, 3) by default, make the file name column wide enough to see more of the file name.

It would all make it quicker :)
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 8:02 AM
  • OK, I ended up with 5,000 conflicts, and even though I'm very calm about these things (we're in alpha mode!), I couldn't face it.

So I unsync'd, deleted all the files from one PC (the laptop) - remember, everything's backed up - and resync'd.

There's an interesting issue, and maybe a mod can answer - having unsync'd, and even after removing the folder from the live desktop, the HoldingArea folder was stuffed full of thousands of files. Only running cleanupmoe.bat solved it.

Anyway, after doing all that, I re-sync'd, and it's now ok. Well - it took hours and hours cos the sync'ing kept freezing, and the only way to get it started was to reboot one of the PCs. I can't quite file a bug for it cos the symptoms were "sync'ing stopped, reboot fixed it" - similar to how you'd solve any problem in Windows.

If any LM forum mods are reading this, I kept the logs, but it'd be interesting to find out why once again, I faced thousands of conflicts just by sync'ing folders that already contained identical files :)

tony

PS the only way I ever knew about cleanupmoe.bat was when I saw it mentioned in another thread - perhaps this can be highlighted better, cos it can help resolve issues...
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 7:57 PM
  •  Hi Tony,

I'll make sure that our support engineer reviews your bug in Connect to see what's going on here.  There is a known bug with sync between devices and not to the Live PC where sometimes sync can start and immediately stop or never starts at all.  This issue has been fixed and will be included in the next release.  But the single XML file causing the problems is definately something that we'll want to look further at.

Thanks!

-Ken

Sunday, October 5, 2008 10:43 PM
  • Tony,

I have reviewed the information in your report and yes, you will most likely need to remove the parent folder.  I know this is a lot of headache for you and I apologize for this situation as it was not any fault of yours.  We work first to eliminate any possibility of data loss...so when unexpected badness happens on this scale we work towards data redundancy in the solution.  I hope the fact that you are not in a data loss situation is of some consolation to you.

Thanks again for being so patient and helping us work through this issue as it has unfolded.

Tim
    Program Manager | Live Mesh
    Monday, October 6, 2008 10:25 PM
  • Had the same issue with the GacBase file size getting out of control.  I'm afraid I don't have any logs, but what I'm really looking for is this CleanUpMoe.bat everyone is talking about.  I've searched my drive and the tubes as best I can, but no dice.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Gib
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 5:47 PM
  • If LiveMesh is installed, you can get the logs and submit a bug on Connect -

Please see this post for instructions on how to collect logs and submit a bug on Connect:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/d52b350a-f3e0-41c6-8e78-d6378e566b9e

Thanks,

-steve

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 2, 2009 9:44 PM