none
Replying strategy

Question

• Just wanted to know forum user´s or MS´s opionion on this. I´m fallowing actively on few forums and also reply if I have something important to say about the topic/issue, but it might not be the answer. I have used to other forums, where people practically chat offline and threads becomes quite long but that´s okay there. Here on MS forums, I´ve seen that if a thread has few replies, it actually dies with time. So I´m starting to think about, do I do something wrong By putting replies which might not be the answer (and I don´t claim them to be). Maybe I´m hurting the thread starter By doing this? Got my point folks? :)
    • Edited by yannara Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:04 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I generally try to stay on topic and avoid tangents or side conversations, but that really depends on the forum I'm posting in and the moderators who oversee it. The ConfigMgr forums/mods seem to not mind when random people necro ancient threads, but the scripting forums/mods I frequent very much do mind that kind of activity.

If a thread has already been marked as answered (by the OP), then I don't personally see any problem with continuing a discussion on the reasons why an issue might have occurred or other possible solutions/workarounds/suggestions/etc.

Alternatively, if a thread has gone cold and you think you have something useful that might help the OP or any future people who find the thread, I don't see a problem with posting it.

IMHO, useful information (even if it's not a full blown 'answer') is always welcome, but bumping a thread only to complain that there isn't a 'good enough answer' isn't (I'm not saying that you've ever done this, I'm simply talking about what I've seen in the past).

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:12 PM
  • I think it's generally OK as long as the thread is not too old and the reply is still helpful or asking for some clarification.

If it's an old thread but has a new answer, I also think it's OK to post it in case it was not already mentioned and adds significantly to the thread.

Otherwise I've seen posts marked as abusive when an old thread is resurrected with no significant contribution or a new mostly unrelated question. 

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:51 PM
  • I don't mind replies that don't answer the question, as long as they contribute information, or request more details about the problem. Even replies that simply echo that the person also has the problem are helpful (although you could just vote the post as helpful). However, I admit that when I find a thread with many replies, I seldom participate, even if the initial question sparks my interest, simply because I don't want to take the time to read through all the replies to see if my point (or answer) has been covered. I also don't like threads that go off on tangents. And, as noted, it is not appreciated when an old answered thread is resurrected.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I generally try to stay on topic and avoid tangents or side conversations, but that really depends on the forum I'm posting in and the moderators who oversee it. The ConfigMgr forums/mods seem to not mind when random people necro ancient threads, but the scripting forums/mods I frequent very much do mind that kind of activity.

If a thread has already been marked as answered (by the OP), then I don't personally see any problem with continuing a discussion on the reasons why an issue might have occurred or other possible solutions/workarounds/suggestions/etc.

Alternatively, if a thread has gone cold and you think you have something useful that might help the OP or any future people who find the thread, I don't see a problem with posting it.

IMHO, useful information (even if it's not a full blown 'answer') is always welcome, but bumping a thread only to complain that there isn't a 'good enough answer' isn't (I'm not saying that you've ever done this, I'm simply talking about what I've seen in the past).

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:12 PM
  • I think it's generally OK as long as the thread is not too old and the reply is still helpful or asking for some clarification.

If it's an old thread but has a new answer, I also think it's OK to post it in case it was not already mentioned and adds significantly to the thread.

Otherwise I've seen posts marked as abusive when an old thread is resurrected with no significant contribution or a new mostly unrelated question. 

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:51 PM
  • I don't mind replies that don't answer the question, as long as they contribute information, or request more details about the problem. Even replies that simply echo that the person also has the problem are helpful (although you could just vote the post as helpful). However, I admit that when I find a thread with many replies, I seldom participate, even if the initial question sparks my interest, simply because I don't want to take the time to read through all the replies to see if my point (or answer) has been covered. I also don't like threads that go off on tangents. And, as noted, it is not appreciated when an old answered thread is resurrected.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:09 PM
  • And, as noted, it is not appreciated when an old answered thread is resurrected.

Too bad, even if it is the one and only I found having similar error codes?

Thanks for input folks :)

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Another thing to do is to change the type to Discussion if it's not a question. That way it stays out of filters.

Great answers here!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Thursday, November 20, 2014 11:30 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:39 PM
    Owner
  • Another thing to do is to change the type to Discussion if it's not a question. That way it stays out of filters.

Great answers here!

Ed this question calls for other feature of chat :) which i know is already there at back of your head. I have suggested in forum recommendations as well but I am sure MS has more important tasks in pipeline related to forum revamping. There should be option in question where if OP is Novice or answerer are not able to understand question they can move to Chat and can discuss as much as they like and then with mutual discussion reach to conclusion and provide answer. This would be a great feature

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Thursday, November 20, 2014 11:34 PM