Anyway to disable auto tune up?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi: Anyone know how to disable the auto 30 day tune up feature. Frankly, its a pain in the a** and I see no way to disable it. I prefer to do tune ups manually on my schedule. Thanks for any suggestions.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:57 AM

Answers

• No. You can cancel the Tune-up when it executes on the schedule, but your status will go to "at risk" if you continue to do so. If, however, you then manually run the Tune-up when it is more convenient for you, OneCare will go back to "good" and it won't execute again until the next scheduled run time/date.

I assume that you realize that you can change the schedule from the 30 day/monthly cycle to more frequent. You cannot disable it nor can you schedule it less than once per month. Personally, I think more granularity in what runs in Tune-up and when should be made available, but once every 30 days, when you can cancel or delay the Tune-up, is not that intrusive and helps make sure that you don't forget to run it.

-steve

Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:26 PM

All replies

• No. You can cancel the Tune-up when it executes on the schedule, but your status will go to "at risk" if you continue to do so. If, however, you then manually run the Tune-up when it is more convenient for you, OneCare will go back to "good" and it won't execute again until the next scheduled run time/date.

I assume that you realize that you can change the schedule from the 30 day/monthly cycle to more frequent. You cannot disable it nor can you schedule it less than once per month. Personally, I think more granularity in what runs in Tune-up and when should be made available, but once every 30 days, when you can cancel or delay the Tune-up, is not that intrusive and helps make sure that you don't forget to run it.

-steve

Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:26 PM
  • Thanks for your help steve.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:31 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

No. .......  but once every 30 days, when you can cancel or delay the Tune-up, is not that intrusive and helps make sure that you don't forget to run it.

-steve

Steve,

This is a good example of why there is a lot of hate in the world for Vista.... The folks who set up the Vista user interaction had the same philosophy. A user should be free to configure a product for his/her needs vs. the "I know what is best for you" bs. You see this more and more in Windows of late. Microsoft pushes this know it all scheme to corporate network managers, and the end result is a user workstation which is little more than a gui GREEN SCREEN station. It is one thing to configure a product out of the box to work as the developer assumes the user would like, but the inability to change it, or DISABLE it is inexcusable. I cannot use it on my wife’s machine at all because of this obnoxious behavior. She threatened to divorce me unless I got the hog off her machine!!!!!! I won't be renewing when the subscription is up.

Gary K

Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:54 AM
  • Hi, Gary, I have to disagree with you on just about all points. Vista is completely configurable, so that should even be part of the discussion. Vista is hated because of a significant amount of mis-information being relayed and published.

If your wife (and you) don't like OneCare and want to use a different security package, that's okay. OneCare is not for everyone. There are some things that I'd like to see more control over and things that I believe should be improved and changed, but "hog" and "obnoxious" are not words I would use to describe OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:47 PM
  • I have to agree with Stephen. OneCare is extremely unobtrusive and unobnoxious.How many times have you been, say, playing a game, only to have it swap out because another anti-virus app pops up a window to tell you its updating or scanning. OneCare does its thing with, at most, a balloon over the system tray. It's clean and simple. I don't want to think about my anti-virus app and I don't want it to tell me about every little thing it does; I have other things to do.

And note that there's a 90-day trial, Gary-- plenty of time to ensure that the product meets your needs.

Friday, July 18, 2008 11:11 PM
  • I to am 'displeased' with the lack of control of functions, i.e., selecting drives to back up or not back up (and other details).
    Live care seems to operate way too similarly to AOL, whose big brother methods/policies have been the major factor in my being an MSN subscriber/member for my entire PC era (17 years now). I will check my subscription date directly, and if within the 'trial' period, will likely bow out. MSN is still tops in my book, but live care doesn't seem to care about what 'I' want to have happening in my machine.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Note that you can indeed exclude locations from being checked for backup. You cannot *add* locations for backup, though, since the local drives are already checked.

-steve

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:10 PM
  • I have to agree.

Tuneup is practically a virus.  It is unwelcome and obtrusive. 

Live OneCare is not a "choice".  I did not install it voluntarily.  It was foisted upon me when I upgraded my Qwest service.   I didn't even realize Tuneup and Disc Scan were there for several days.  Then I began wondering what all the hours of frantic disk activity were every time I restarted my system.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 5:58 AM
  • Nonsense. You are free to remove OneCare from your PC at any time and choose any security program you want. Through your Qwest subscription, Windows Live OneCare and other Windows Live offerings are provided to you - optionally. OneCare in the US is normally a $49.95 annual subscription - you are getting it for free.

If you are also running another security program, that would explain the hours of disk activity and one of the conflicting programs needs to be removed. There is a daily quick scan scheduled by default to occur overnight if the PC is on and it will run at startup if the PC was off. It should normally take under 10 minutes and should not impact system performance. If it is running for hours, there's a problem. Tune-up will take hours - typically under 2 hours - and will potentially impact system performance, but there is an indication that it is about to run and an animated tray icon when it is running. It is scheduled to run every 30 days by default, or more if you configure it to run more frequently.

-steve

Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:01 PM
  • I think it is very presumptous of Microsoft to not allow users to turn off unwanted features! 

Virus/Spyware scans and backups are scheduled separately, so the only thing you are gaining with tune-up is disk defrag and removal of "unnecessary files".  Since tune-up is not a critical operation and I can perform each step safely on my own using existing tools I don't understand why Microsoft would not allow the user to disable the automatic scheduling if desired.

Tune-up is causing Windows XP Home to "hang" when I restart my computer and I am forced to reboot using my last known good configuration.   I would prefer to disable tune-up and perform these maintenance actions myself rather than spend time troubleshooting which necessary "unnecessary file" is being removed.  I have disabled that feature in the settings, but would prefer to disable automatic tune-ups entirely for now rather than set my alarm clock so I can catch tune-up in the act and cancel it!

Also, I set my computer to download updates, but prefer to know what I am installing before I actually install the update.  The red/yellow/green notification in the system tray is useless because unless you have all the "whats best for everyone" default settings enabled, the One Care status is ALWAYS red!

This all-in-one approach seems to be targeted at "novice" computer users which are the ones least equipped to troubleshoot any problems that this software may cause!  As for more experienced users, this approach is just an annoyance.  My suggestion for Microsoft is to find some middle ground - recommended default settings with user overrides!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:46 PM
  • I think the general consensus is that people want a "disable" feature for the "tune up" so I hope Microsoft takes heed and puts one in as an update to One Care Live. Thanks to all who responded to my question.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:07 PM
  • UglyTruth: you know what? Your words are exactly what I was thinking. Especially about the 90-day trial which allows one to test the software and see if it's to their liking. You know, whatever people say about Microsoft, I think their standards in software of all descriptions are excellent. I'll be honest, now. I was writing something on another Forum of theirs and they blocked a word out, thinking it was going to be a rude one. So I had a snipe about it. That's honest. I truly apologise to them because you know what? These people don't know me, yet they took the time to inform me in the last couple of days that I needed to secure my computer with an important update. Why did they do that? Because they possibly like to think that they're taking the time to bother with making sure their customers are protected. Not just in my country, but around the world. Now why should they bother? As far as I'm concerned, they and I are strangers to each other yet they take the time to care and it seems like they're taking a personal interest in my security at the moment. Two words sum it up and more of us should say them: "Thank you, Microsoft". Bet there aren't many of us moaners who would like to sit in some office trying to work out whatever code it is that protects us. They work jolly hard. Bless them all.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 11:18 PM
  • An addendum to this debate.
    I have a system that freezes when the disk defrag part of the Tune-Up is running. The system is taking video streams from a couple of cameras and so had a lot of disk activity and I am guessing that that is the problem.

Now I find that I don't have the option to control the Tune-Up feature to the point where I can turn it off.
    You seriously couldn't put a check box there to allow Tune-Up to be deactivated?
    What if I have a better Tune-Up utility that I want to run instead?

OneCare has some good qualities. It has been relatively unobtrusive on the systems I have run it on.
    I have had some .NET issues on a couple of systems which definitely reduced my rating of the software but it is still better than the Norton product I have removed from purchased laptops.

This lack of flexibility in Tune-Up is a big problem for me though. I also found that I couldn't back up to a USB hard drive using the Backup app which left me flummoxed.

As to the defense of Vista and the idea that misinformation has caused its bad rep, puhlease!
    Using it has caused its bad rep.
    Did Apple develop it as a trojan horse to drive us to their camp?
    I have 4GB in my Thinkpad which came with Vista loaded and all of the eye candy turned off and it runs like a 286.
    I am fantasizing about a Macbook!
    Friday, December 5, 2008 8:51 PM
  • There's really no debate and I agree that OneCare should allow Defrag to be disabled. Frankly, I'm surprised that this option was never included despite several years of complaints about it. Tune-up itself needs to run as it is the only time that a full virus scan with up to date definitions is performed.

If you need to disable Defrag, you may want to look for the posts/threads in the forum where a registry hack is posted. If you want to disable Tune-up completely, you'll want to look for a different security solution.

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Of course it should be configurable - whyever not? Another area this applies to is the inability to use of an alternative defragmentation program. I now cannot really use my copy of PerfectDisk - a product I've used for years until OneCare was installed on my PCs.

Back fully on thread, though, what is annoying about this, in many ways very good product, is the fact that it ignores the monthly check time and date I've set for Tune-Up and run much more frequently. It's running now and it ran only three days ago - and that's despite a four-weekly TuneUp being set.

That said, it's running but I haven't really noticed it - it seems intelligent in the way it uses system resources. Why does it run more frequently than the settings, though, I wonder, Any ideas anyone?
    SteveC
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 8:51 AM
  • SteveC,
    If you've made any changes to the schedule to adjust things, OneCare gets a bit strange with the next tune-up date. If you let it run to completion and then don't touch the schedule, it should adhere to that schedule going forward.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 19, 2009 5:50 PM