Adding a hard drive containing data to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I've just setup my WHS to replace my existing Windows 7 machine that was previously serving up my media.  The WHS box has one 2TB drive right now, and I'm planning to install additional storage soon.  I have two 750GB drives in my Win7 box that are nearly full; I want to move them to my WHS box AND preserve the data on them.  

How can I do this? Neither of these 750GB drives is a system volume, just data.  Is it as simple as plugging them in to the WHS box?

Thanks,

psymn

Monday, February 28, 2011 1:35 AM

All replies

• If you plug them into the WHS box, you will be prompted to add them to the storage pool which will mean that WHS will format the drives.

The easiest method is to connect those 750gb drives to another PC on your network, and copy the data from the 750gb drive to the share on the WHS where you want the data to be housed. 

Once you've got the drives empty, then you can safely add them to your storage pool where WHS will format the drives and add the available space to the storage pool.

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:10 PM
  • If you plug them into the WHS box, you will be prompted to add them to the storage pool which will mean that WHS will format the drives.

The easiest method is to connect those 750gb drives to another PC on your network, and copy the data from the 750gb drive to the share on the WHS where you want the data to be housed. 

Once you've got the drives empty, then you can safely add them to your storage pool where WHS will format the drives and add the available space to the storage pool.

That's what I was afraid of.  Copying 1.5 TB of data across my LAN is not going to be a fast operation, even at 1Gbit/s.  

Is there a way to prevent WHS from formatting the drive by default?

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:45 PM
  • 1. Connect drive to your server. Boot. Don't add to pool (it will format drive if you do and all data will be gone).

2. RDP to your server (Remote Desktop Connection).

3. While in server open file explorer. You will see your new drive with all your files there.

4. Open another window with you shared folder (let's say "Music").

5. Drag and drop from drive to shared folder.

6. Make sure all files are copied and only after that you can add drive to your pool.

• Proposed as answer by Jerguyntx Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:38 PM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 11:17 PM
  • rmd is correct.  You can add the drives to the WHS without having them formatted.  If were to Add them to the storage pool then yes they would be formatted otherwise they'd just exist as a drive letter.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:38 PM