Password match problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS OEM with 6 computers attached. The same user name and password is used on all the computers and the Home Server. Two of the computers run Windows XP Pro, the rest are Vista machines.  On both XP machines I get the passwords do not match error, I do not get this error on any of the Vista computers. Again, the user name and the passwords are the same. Any solutions to getting the XP machines and WHS to agree that they are the same?

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:22 PM

Answers

• Maybe this post will help: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2284855&SiteID=50
    Friday, October 26, 2007 5:14 PM

All replies

• I had the same issue with 1 of my XP machines. Reinstalling the connector software seemed to straighten it out in my case. Have you tried reinstalling the software on the XP machines?

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:36 PM
  • I believe there is a way to allow WHS to synch the user on the two computers.  It will ask you to type in the password for the user for the client as well as the server and then you select which password you want to use going forward (either the client or server password).  Even though the passwords are the same, I suspect that this synching process will make the error go away.

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:37 PM
  • Maybe this post will help: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2284855&SiteID=50
    Friday, October 26, 2007 5:14 PM
  • I'd encourage you to uninstall the Connector software from your home computer, reboot and then install the Connector software from the \\SERVER\Software share.

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:30 PM
  • I got the password match problem after I installed OEM (all XP clients) on 2 computers. I uninstalled and reinstalled the connector software (from the software folder), tried syncing the passwords to the client, tried syncing with the WHS computer, always the same results. Password mismatch even when the the software said it matched. After a couple of reboots of WHS and many reboots of the clients, the problem has just vanished. Haven't seen the message in two days, but had it constantly for 2 days after the upgrade to OEM.

I guess it's one of those magic things........(for the old sailors out there, FM).

Other than that little problem and one lockup of WHS, the upgrade went smoothly. Better than expected. No data loss, no other problems.

Cruise
    Friday, October 26, 2007 10:23 PM
  • Thank for all the replies - The first thing I tried was the suggestion made by tbjerret. That eliminated the message now hopefully it will stay away

Again thank you all

Saturday, October 27, 2007 11:02 PM
  • budgall,

You should mark tbjerret's post as the answer as your question has been "answered".

I also had this problem and followed tbjerret's link provided.  Here was the answer and it worked for me.

On the client computer giving you the headaches launch the following from your Start > Run menu:

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

Then find the name of your WHS, highlight it and "Remove it".

Logoff, then back in, and update your password one final time through the WHS client.

If all goes well, it should resolve it.

-post provided by dmxrob

thanks tbjerret and dmxrob for your help!!!!

-velvet

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:09 AM
  • Marked as suggested

Bud

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:47 AM