A thought about installation RRS feed

• General discussion

• I found myself wishing today that I could choose my the disk I want to install the OS on during setup.  I had a 2tb that was server backup, and a 320gb drive that I wanted to install the OS on.  The install lists the larger disk first, and there is no way to change it.  Anyone else wish this would change?
    D.W.
    • Changed type dlwilliams12 Monday, February 14, 2011 1:22 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 12:20 AM

All replies

• I found myself wishing today that I could choose my the disk I want to install the OS on during setup.  I had a 2tb that was server backup, and a 320gb drive that I wanted to install the OS on.  The install lists the larger disk first, and there is no way to change it.  Anyone else wish this would change?

==========
    Assuming your drives are SATA, you should have SATA 1 and SATA 2 on your mobo at the very least. Just switch the SATA cable to have your 320 GB drive on SATA 1, and you should be good to go. I think. Worth a try anyway. :)

Nancy Ward
    Monday, February 14, 2011 12:54 AM
  • I wish it were that easy.  It doesn't matter what port on the motherboard the drives are plugged into.  The drive that is showing up as disk 0 is in port 3, and the other that is showing up as disk 1 is in a Sata III port.
    D.W.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Don't plug-in the 2 TB drive until after the install. But you are right you should be able to choose which disk to install to.
    • Edited by IamJoematt Monday, February 14, 2011 1:44 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 1:33 AM
  • Don't plug-in the 2 TB drive until after the install. But you are right you should be able to chose which disk to install to.

Thats the obvious answer, and what I did, but it's kind of a pain to set up hardware, do an install, and then set up more hardware.  It would be nice if I could choose the disk to install the OS on.  Even windows 7 lets a person do that.

D.W.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 1:40 AM
  • I wish it were that easy.  It doesn't matter what port on the motherboard the drives are plugged into.  The drive that is showing up as disk 0 is in port 3, and the other that is showing up as disk 1 is in a Sata III port.

=======
    What's in Port 1? That's where I put my 320 GB system drive and it showed as the one to install to.

I only have two ports on this particular machine (1 and 2), but it will have to do until I decide if I'm gonna go to WHS 2011.

What's a SATA III port? Latest and greatest?

Nancy Ward
    Monday, February 14, 2011 1:58 AM
  • Yes, sata III would be the latest.  What happens with the install is that the system picks the largest disk as the system disk.  This is the only current windows OS that does it this way.  All the others give you a choice.
    D.W.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:02 AM
  • Yes, sata III would be the latest.  What happens with the install is that the system picks the largest disk as the system disk.  This is the only current windows OS that does it this way.  All the others give you a choice.

=======
    OK then, I give up. :( Maybe I got away with it because I have an older mobo with only the two ports.  I'm still waiting to hear from the Team on my two bugs before I start to experiment any more. I definitely want to challenge WHS, but my hands are tied until I know more about why I'm getting the errors.

Nancy Ward
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:18 AM
  • I recommend removing (or disconnecting) all the data drives before installing the operating system anyway. I think this is generally a good idea anyway because I recently discovered the bloody thing installed the boot files on one of my data drives instead of on the boot drive with the operating system. Of course, I discovered the discrepancy when the data drive started failing and I swapped it with a new blank drive and could no longer boot. I spent a few hours trying system recovery, fixboot /mbr, etc. but none of them worked. I finally found a thread that said to manually copy bootmgr from the old drive and that fixed the boot problem.

"dlwilliams12" wrote in message news:4f6c25dc-1286-48dc-8186-18a93e28e6c3...
    I found myself wishing today that I could choose my the disk I want to install the OS on during setup.  I had a 2tb that was server backup, and a 320gb drive that I wanted to install the OS on.  The install lists the larger disk first, and there is no way to change it.  Anyone else wish this would change?
    D.W.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 5:32 AM
    D.W.

Yes.

The present arrangement must surely be just a question of not enough time in the beta to do it the way you suggest.(Even so, pretty weak excuse). If not then it would be a major oversight.

It would also help if the documentation were quickly revised. So much still refers to VAIL and of course WHS2011 is a very different product. The unattended install doc is an example of just such inconsistence and poor quality.
    (http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/vail/answer-file-install-2.aspx)

Have you tried unattended installs? That worked for me but I used an IDE drive which in most BIOS enumerates before Sata.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:12 PM
  • Greg Law wrote
    I recommend removing (or disconnecting) all the data drives before installing the operating system anyway. I think this is generally a good idea anyway
     because
    I recently discovered the bloody thing installed the boot files on one of my data drives instead of on the boot drive with the operating system.

a) Yes, I agree that's fine for a trial system but unfortunately not reliable for a working/production system. I would want to know how my working system will tolerate a complete reinstall.

b) Very odd. I suspect that something went wrong after the install. I do not think it is possible for the installation to put anything on any disk other than the install disk.

• Edited by David A Tucker Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:35 PM Attributed quote
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:31 PM
  • b) Very odd. I suspect that something went wrong after the install. I do not think it is possible for the installation to put anything on any disk other than the install disk.

This can happen.  When I installed windows 7 on my pc, I picked my ssd as the destination disk.  I also had a storage drive hooked up, and the system reserved (100mb) ended up on the storage disk.  And even stranger, I can't see that partition in disk management.  I still haven't figured out a way to fix this.  If I do not choose my storage drive as the boot drive in bios, it will not boot.  Even though all of the other system files are on the ssd. 

D.W.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:05 PM
  • On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 14:05:34 +0000, dlwilliams12 wrote:

When I installed windows 7 on my pc, I picked my ssd as the destination disk.? I also had a storage drive hooked up, and the system reserved (100mb) ended up on the storage disk.? And even stranger, I can't see that partition in disk management.? I still haven't figured out a way to fix this.? If I do not choose my storage drive as the boot drive in bios, it will not boot.? Even though all of the other system files are on the ssd.

I think I see where your confusion lies here. When you installed Windows 7
    your "storage" drive was likely listed as Drive 0 which means that the
    setup routines would have put the startup files on that drive. Since the
    drive presumably was already partitioned, the setup routine would not have
    created the 100 MB reserved partition. The reason you can't see the
    reserved partition is that you don't have one. The reason your computer
    won't boot when the "storage" drive is not connected is that it contains
    the required startup files.
    To confirm this, make sure that you've got the display of hidden and system
    protected files turned on and then look at the root of your "storage"
    drive. If you see a folder named Boot, a file named bootmgr then that is
    exactly what is going on.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    System going down at 1:45 for disk crashing.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:24 PM
  • To confirm this, make sure that you've got the display of hidden and system
    protected files turned on and then look at the root of your "storage"
    drive. If you see a folder named Boot, a file named bootmgr then that is
    exactly what is going on.

I'm sure you are right.  How do i display hidden files in windows 7?  I'm not exactly sure.  And can I fix this without a clean install?

D.W.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:40 PM
  • I should have said this happened with a Windows 7 installation on my desktop computer even though Disk Management shows the boot drive as Disk 0 and the data drive as Disk 1. I was just worried (perhaps wrongly) that it could potentially happen with any version of Windows, including Home Server. When I installed Windows 7 (from scratch) the data drive was already partitioned and had just over a terabyte of data on 2TB drive and the boot drive was a new unpartitioned drive, so that could have something to do with it.

"David A Tucker" wrote in message news:6b3ea4a5-1eb4-4e9b-81a3-33dbe6b82287...
    Greg Law wrote
    I recommend removing (or disconnecting) all the data drives before installing the operating system anyway. I think this is generally a good idea anyway
    because
    I recently discovered the bloody thing installed the boot files on one of my data drives instead of on the boot drive with the operating system.

a) Yes, I agree that's fine for a trial system but unfortunately not reliable for a working/production system. I would want to know how my working system will tolerate a complete reinstall.

b) Very odd. I suspect that something went wrong after the install. I do not think it is possible for the installation to put anything on any disk other than the install disk.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Control Panel/Folder Options/View, under Advanced Settings window you will see these options.
    --
    Don
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Ok, I did that and the only hidden folder on my storage drive is msdownld.tmp.  There is no boot folder, or bootmgr.  So now what?
    D.W.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 5:52 PM
  • I guess I missed something here, is this for a Win7 install or WHS?

If it is just the Win7 install I would start again with a clean load and remove all drives except the one you want the OS on. I had this happen to me when I did an install, left the storage drive hooked up and it did put boot files on the storage drive.

You can't see "bootmgr" file on any drive?

--
    Don
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:18 PM
  • I guess I missed something here, is this for a Win7 install or WHS?

If it is just the Win7 install I would start again with a clean load and remove all drives except the one you want the OS on. I had this happen to me when I did an install, left the storage drive hooked up and it did put boot files on the storage drive.

You can't see "bootmgr" file on any drive?

--
    Don
    Yeah windows 7.  I don't see the bootmgr anywhere.  The C: drive is still the system drive, but I have to set my storage drive as the boot drive in bios.  It's not really a big issue.  Not enough to do a wipe and load anyways.  I'm planning on doing a new build soon, so i'll just put up with it for now, and have it be a lesson learned.

D.W.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:31 PM
  • The only other thing I could think of is to "uncheck" all the "hide" statements in Folder Options and see if you see it then.

I have done many installs with the storage drive hooked up and didn't see this problem. I had read about it but it wasn't until recently that I saw this happen.

--
    Don
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:35 PM
  • I think it may have to do with the system drive being an ssd.
    D.W.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:37 PM