Serious OneCare Issue with Vista RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello all,

I have been having a serious issue with OneCare for some time now and I was hoping someone here might have more information. I have already contacted Microsoft to no avail. Here's the problem:

Everything will be fine, then suddenly, when starting the computer one day the follow problem will occur. Here are the symptoms:

1) OneCare does not start, and if you wait long enough, it tells you "OneCare Failed to Start"

2) Sidebar (if active) will not load properly. The bar itself loads, but no gadgets load.

3) UAC prompts will not load. Anything that requires UAC to open will be inaccessible. Clicking it results in nothing happening.

4) The networking icon in the system tray will show the "disconnected" status, where as if you launch IE the internet works fine

5) IE works fine, but if you try to close it, it freezes.

6) Programs cannot install/uninstall, everything gets stuck attempting to do anything.

Here's the solutions I have tried:

1) Disable UAC via Safemode - This allows me to actually try and uninstall OneCare

2) Uninstall OneCare - Does not work, the uninstall freezes half way through

4) Manual Uninstall of OneCare - OneCare will be uninstalled, but nothing gets fixed and OneCare cannot reinstall

5) Run OneCare clean-up tool - Only works in Safe Mode, doesn't change anything

6) System Restore - All restore points result in a black screen after Welcome screen, if you go into safe mode it claims to have worked and you can then get into the regular mode, but nothing changes. The only restore point that works is one right before OneCare's initial install.

7) .Net Framework repair. I ran the command from cmd prompt, it claims that nothing is wrong.

8) "Upgrade Vista to Vista (repair) - Freezes during beginning of install

This has happened to me on 4 different computers so far. All have different manufactures, hardware, and one was even running Vista x64. The only common links are Vista and OneCare. However, 3/4 have been notebooks if that helps. Also, this seems to affect all versions of OneCare, I've had it happen in versions 1.x, 2.0, and 2.5.

The only solution I have discovered so far is a complete reformat and reinstall of Vista.

Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know of anything that might help me?

Thanks!

Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:08 AM

Answers

• I can't begin to speculate on the cause of the problems - especially since you note that you have encountered it on multiple computers. I have OneCare on many computers as well and do not experience any of these issues. I have one Vista x64 laptop that is pretty wonky, but that is not likely to be a OneCare issue - I'm speculating that it is the HP "cr*pware" that I haven't yet removed or some bad drivers that are in need of updating. The symptoms are not as you describe, though.

The best that I can suggest is that you contact support to review your system(s) for possible conflicting software that is in common on all of your PCs.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi There!

I had the same issue with Vistax64 and the only way I recovered...was to install Vista on a second partitionand restore from backup to the new instance. Not sure if  will use one care anymore.

My failure start when I was testing sleep/hybernate states to save some on the electrical bill.

I wonder if you got there the same way?....coming out of sleep or hybernate mode????

Wish some OneCare engineer look into this.....

Toby  

Sunday, October 12, 2008 11:51 AM
  •  

Every time my problem occurred when the computer was rebooted or just turned on. I really hope someone fixes this issue or I may also jump off the OneCare ship.
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 6:28 PM
  • I can't begin to speculate on the cause of the problems - especially since you note that you have encountered it on multiple computers. I have OneCare on many computers as well and do not experience any of these issues. I have one Vista x64 laptop that is pretty wonky, but that is not likely to be a OneCare issue - I'm speculating that it is the HP "cr*pware" that I haven't yet removed or some bad drivers that are in need of updating. The symptoms are not as you describe, though.

The best that I can suggest is that you contact support to review your system(s) for possible conflicting software that is in common on all of your PCs.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:06 PM
  •  Chrono951 wrote:

Every time my problem occurred when the computer was rebooted or just turned on. I really hope someone fixes this issue or I may also jump off the OneCare ship.

If OneCare is not starting at boot, it is likely to be a resource problem or a conflict. I'd suggest contacting support.

-steve

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:07 PM