MS Live password rejected after upgrade from licensed OneCare 1.6 to 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a licensed copy of OneCare which is 9 months old.  I had v1.6 on my XP Pro machine.  When I installed OneCare on my Vista Ultimate machine, it refused my MS Live password so I can't activate.  It said I am licensed for v1.6, not 2.0.  Last night, my XP Pro machine did an auto-upgrade to OneCare v2,0.  It shows my subscription still has 3 months left, but it still rejects my Live password.

I am able to log onto billing.microsoft.com with my Live password and it shows my active subscription.  It seems to me that MS tied my subscription to v1.6 so now I can't add machines, or maintain my subscription with v2.0.  How do I resolve this problem?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:57 PM

Answers

• There is no distinction between a subscription of OneCare and versions. All 1.6 users will be upgraded to 2.0 as long as the subscription is active.

If you installed OneCare 2.0 prior to mid November, you are running the beta and need to uninstall and reinstall from http://onecare.live.com

If you have a new install from the production site, and you are trying to activate with your confirmed LiveID, make sure that you are not pasting the password, but are typing it in. There is a bug in 2.0 that prevents the copy and paste of the password from working.

What version of 2.0 do you have (Help/About) and when did you install it and from where?

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:53 PM