missing SyncToySetup.msi file RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading from SynToy 2.0 to 2.1 (X86) successfully, in the next booting of the system, when trying to run SynToy I receive the msg: The parameter is Incorrect and when I try to re install the SyncToy I got in SyncToy 2.1 (x86)window:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.  Click ok to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "SyncToySetup.msi" in the box below.

Use source: r:\e21a360504bf014e550390\

My system is XP3 
    Friday, January 8, 2010 5:19 PM

Answers

• Hi -

The problem is that the Windows Installer needs the original msi to be able to do an uninstall ( or an upgrade). You have inadvertently either deleted it or moved it from the location where it was originally placed. It looks like the tool below might be able to help but we have NOT used/tested this so you have to use this at your own-risk.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:04 PM

All replies

• Did you use the install pakage from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en ?

I suggest you to have another try, save the setup pakage to a local place firstly, then install it locally, suppose your problem will be gone.

Thanks,
    Ping
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Yunwen Bai Saturday, January 9, 2010 5:33 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Deepa Choundappan Monday, February 1, 2010 10:59 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 7:12 PM
  • Dear Ping Lu,

Thank you for your prompt help.  Yes, I had downloaded from Microsoft download site.  Upon your suggestion I tried once more exactly from the above link.  The issue persists.  During the installation, I am receving the same message + "the older version of SyncToy 2.1 can not be uninstalled due to the missing....." and advises me to contact technical support team?

Regards,

Mncc
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 10:14 AM
  • Dear Ping Lu,

In adddition to the above, I am trying to uninstall SyncToy (which it says the version installed is 2.0) altogether from the Add/Remove s/w to install it once from the scratch but unable to, as I receive the "missing SyncToySetup.msi package" message again.  I can not locate the missing package anywhere in my system?

regards,

mncc 
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 10:24 AM
  • I am having the same problem as Mncc.  I've previously installed and run V2.0, and am trying to upgrade to V2.1.  If I run SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x86.exe it fails saying it can't find the msi file j:\28db8a393190f759e5\; if I try to uninstall V2.0 from add / remove programs, the uninstall fails with the same error.  If I extract the msi files using SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x86.exe -x, and click the SyncToySetup.msi it fails with the same error.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Hi -

The problem is that the Windows Installer needs the original msi to be able to do an uninstall ( or an upgrade). You have inadvertently either deleted it or moved it from the location where it was originally placed. It looks like the tool below might be able to help but we have NOT used/tested this so you have to use this at your own-risk.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:04 PM
  • For anyone having the problem this is how I fixed it:

1.  Try to unsinstall the SyncToy.  It will report the error and display the "unavailable resource".  Copy this "resource" (folder directory) and recreate it.  If it is local it is easy.  If it is a network share you must fool windows, but this topic is outside of these instructions.

2.  Get the original (v2 = SyncToySetupPackage20.exe) executable file and save it in the directory you just recreated above.  (I got mine at http://www.brothersoft.com/synctoy-download-64734.html.  MS does not have it, and the 2.1 version will not do, I tried it).

3.  Extract it the above file to the recreated folder (resource) by running "SyncToySetupPackage20.exe -x"

4.  From add remove programs try to uninstall SyncToy again, it should work.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Kudos!!!!  

Battled for months with this problem... The issue is this: You need the 2.0 installation package.  Once you donload from brothersoft, you're done uninstalling...

Greetings.

• Proposed as answer by CliffSF Saturday, November 9, 2019 9:44 PM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 12:32 AM
  • Yes, the problem with the missing/wrong MSI file can be resolved by un-zipping SyncToySetupPackage20.exe then double-clicking on the SyncToySetup.msi file within the expanded folder.  For those who don't like extracting via the command line, either WinZip or WinRar can do that.
    • Proposed as answer by CliffSF Saturday, November 9, 2019 9:48 PM
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 9:47 PM