Unable to Open Backup RRS feed

• Question

• In this post, I'm working with the backup of this PC:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1330735&SiteID=50

After the backup finished, I wanted to verify that it was successful, especially since the backup only took 3 minutes (and the system has about 45 GB of data). I was unable to do so, after 20 minutes, it said: "Timed out while mounting backup." Right up to the point it put that box up, the server's hard drives were grinding away. I've tried this both on the laptop and a desktop PC to no avail. I even created a new file on the laptop and then ordered a new backup, but I couldn't open that one either, same error.

Also, I have no problem opening backups from other PCs on the network.

What do I do next?

Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:55 AM

Answers

• Looks like I won't be able to get to the bottom of this problem. I'm sure it has something to do with the failed backup of the restore partition. Even though I deleted the backups, it must be keeping portions of them. I mean, how else could it backup 45 GB of data, about 36 of which is unique to this computer, in 3 minutes!?

Anyway, I botched the situation up pretty badly. I know that WHS will recognize a computer's name change (I did so on my laptop with no problem) so there must be some other identifier that WHS uses to uniquely identify a client. I thought I would start by changing the SID *and* the computer name of the laptop so that maybe WHS would recognize it as a different system. So, I downloaded NewSID (from SysInternals, now Microsoft) and proceeded to use the command line automatic name change function. It didn't give any indication that it was functioning, so I thought maybe something had gone wrong. So I started the GUI and did it again, and it was then, when I read the warning that I realized the problem. I was running two copies of NewSID at once! I immediately terminated the first one, but I was too lane. After reboot permissions were screwed up for all kinds of stuff. WHS Connector wouldn't install, Windows Defender wouldn't start, etc.

So, time for a reformat! :)

However, if anyone else encounters a similar situation, where they can't get a backup open, you might want to give NewSID a try. Just do it the right way. ;)
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:34 PM

All replies

• I see a whole bunch of the following events in my Event Log after trying to open it:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Ntfs
    Date:          3/11/2007 12:58:40 AM
    Event ID:      55
    Task Category: (2)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      JasonLaptop
    Description:
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume Z:.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Ntfs" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49156">55</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-03-11T07:58:40.040Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1501</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>JasonLaptop</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>Z:</Data>
        <Binary>0D0004000200300002000000370004C000000000020100C000000000000000000000000000000000060C1400</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:13 AM
  • Looks like I won't be able to get to the bottom of this problem. I'm sure it has something to do with the failed backup of the restore partition. Even though I deleted the backups, it must be keeping portions of them. I mean, how else could it backup 45 GB of data, about 36 of which is unique to this computer, in 3 minutes!?

Anyway, I botched the situation up pretty badly. I know that WHS will recognize a computer's name change (I did so on my laptop with no problem) so there must be some other identifier that WHS uses to uniquely identify a client. I thought I would start by changing the SID *and* the computer name of the laptop so that maybe WHS would recognize it as a different system. So, I downloaded NewSID (from SysInternals, now Microsoft) and proceeded to use the command line automatic name change function. It didn't give any indication that it was functioning, so I thought maybe something had gone wrong. So I started the GUI and did it again, and it was then, when I read the warning that I realized the problem. I was running two copies of NewSID at once! I immediately terminated the first one, but I was too lane. After reboot permissions were screwed up for all kinds of stuff. WHS Connector wouldn't install, Windows Defender wouldn't start, etc.

So, time for a reformat! :)

However, if anyone else encounters a similar situation, where they can't get a backup open, you might want to give NewSID a try. Just do it the right way. ;)
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:34 PM