unable to activate via product key....online registration not working! RRS feed

• Question

• i am unable to activate my live onecare licence.  purchased it at a retail store but unable to navigate through the online maze that is MS Live One to enter it!   Able to get to a screen with "activate with token" but each time i select this option, I end up with the liveone sign-in page with the "Get Windows Live" button (i.e. back where I started).  It's looping and I'm unable to get to a page to enter the product key.   I'm also unable to find any way to contact MS for help!   Only a minimal knowledgebase that of course doesn't have this problem documented.   This forum is my last hope.  pls help 

Thx in advance

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• See this post regarding Activation redirecting you to a page where you cannot activate, but are presented with a view of available Windows Live Products instead -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1202298&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, January 31, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for your quick reply and suggestion.  I was a tad confused as I had purchased the license in the US but was trying to install and activate in europe.  Still was a little tricky though, on my first attempt after changing the browser language setting, the browser redirected me to a liveone signup page (in german) (the one with the "Go" button) even though I already had signed up.  I then retried by launching the browser page from the liveone installation wizard and that allowed me to link to a page where i could enter the product key. 

Now given the geo sensitivity during activation....does the same apply for usage?   So for instance, if I've registered liveone for use on a laptop, will I have problems running the application when I'm travelling to other countries?   I'm assuming the geo restrictions only during activation? (would otherwise render this thing useless).

Thanks for your help.   Somewhat scary that there's absolutely no way to contact MS (via email or phone) to get help with this other than through this forum.  Makes me weary of future MS purchases.

Cheers,

Friday, February 1, 2008 12:35 PM
  • The validation of location (by looking up the public facing IP address for your connection, provided by your ISP) and language only happens when you first create a subscription. Should you decide to reisntall and activate or activate on a second or 3rd PC with the LiveID for your now existing subscription, you can do that anywhere in the world where you have unrestricted Internet Access.

-steve

Friday, February 1, 2008 1:56 PM
  • I am unable to add my laptop to my subscription.  The Live Onecare site keeps giving me a different email address, which is NOT the one I signed up with originally.

How do I add my laptop to have the subscription?
    Friday, February 1, 2008 5:37 PM
  •  

You can add your laptop to your subscription by doing this.

1. Power up your laptop

2. Go to http://onecare.live.com and download the onecare client

3. Install the client

4. Once you're done installing, OneCare will ask you to enter your WindowsLiveID and password: Enter the exact same one as you used on your other machine. If you still have a valid subscription you should be all set up.

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:51 PM
  •  Linda Storhoff wrote:
    I am unable to add my laptop to my subscription.  The Live Onecare site keeps giving me a different email address, which is NOT the one I signed up with originally.

How do I add my laptop to have the subscription?

See this post, Linda: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:58 PM