Subscription does not update when you remove a computer from my circle. RRS feed

• Question

• Subscription does not update when you remove a computer from my circle.

The line above says it all. I had to dump the drive on my hub computer, do to a major infection one care did not detect.

When you reinstall windows your computer name changes and therefore you one care does not know it is the same computer. You can go and remove the old computer name from my circle. But when you go to activate one care on the reinstalled system, it will not accept it.

Instead it tells you This:

It looks like you need a subsciption.

Then it directs you to buy another subscription!

This needs to be fixed, But of course MS One care does not have live people to talk to that I find.

Please if you know of any let me know.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 3:07 AM

Answers

• No, the most likely reason you are getting that error is because you are using a different LiveID to activate on that PC than the ID for your subscription.

If you have another activated PC, open OneCare and click Help/About to see the subscription ID.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate the reinstall or additional computer install.

If you are getting the message about needing a subscription and you *are* using the correct LiveID (and you can confirm that you have a paid subscription and not a beta subscription) at the billing site, contact support per the FAQ post above.

-steve

Saturday, January 5, 2008 3:16 AM
  • OneCare activation does not care if OneCare was removed from another PC or not. In fact, it will let you install on more than 3 PCs - *with the same LiveID* - for your subscription. If OneCare activation does not recognize the LiveID, you need to verify that LiveID at the Billing site or by contacting support per my previous message.

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:46 AM

All replies

• No, the most likely reason you are getting that error is because you are using a different LiveID to activate on that PC than the ID for your subscription.

If you have another activated PC, open OneCare and click Help/About to see the subscription ID.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate the reinstall or additional computer install.

If you are getting the message about needing a subscription and you *are* using the correct LiveID (and you can confirm that you have a paid subscription and not a beta subscription) at the billing site, contact support per the FAQ post above.

-steve

Saturday, January 5, 2008 3:16 AM
  • Sorry thats not it I only have one live id.

Plus I beta tested One care and this is a real issue with the self updating of subsciptions.

It does not realize the third computer was removed.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:10 PM
  • OneCare activation does not care if OneCare was removed from another PC or not. In fact, it will let you install on more than 3 PCs - *with the same LiveID* - for your subscription. If OneCare activation does not recognize the LiveID, you need to verify that LiveID at the Billing site or by contacting support per my previous message.

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:46 AM