LOC backup RRS feed

• General discussion

• After working flawlessly for several months LOC started sending messages that it could not find my dvd drive to perform back up. A day of frustation talking to support later I was told that either a new dvd drive or a total restore to my computer would solve my problem.

No thanks. My dvd drive does anything any other program asks it to do. Burn, copy, erase no problem. Back to support.

Another wasted day. All they managed to do was get LOC to make new back up. So whats the beef? One week later during back up LOC wrote files out to disc then said files were corrupt and I should run  back up again. Started to rerun back up and got message that LOC doesn't detect any media in dvd tray and opens tray. New media same result. As of this date I have purchased and tried DVD-R, DVD+R. DVD-RW, DVD+RW  by three different makers (thats 12 different media) and my LOC still opens tray and asks for blank writeable media. What next?

Monday, January 14, 2008 9:41 PM

All replies

• Did anything change from when OneCare last backed up successfully to the DVD burner and your media?

Am I reading that OneCare successfully creates the first full backup, but then fails to write subsequent incremental backups on a weekly basis with the last disc of your backup set or a new blank disc?

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:18 AM
  • Nothing changed.

You are reading that OneCare will not make a backup of any kind.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:46 AM
  • I'll ask the Backup Program Manager to have a look here. Since the drive works for other programs, but fails only for OneCare, I disagree with support's advice to get a new drive.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:57 PM
  • One further thing I failed to ask - what version of OneCare are you running? Help/About in OneCare. Do you know if it failed to work after a OneCare update took place?

If you were updated and that's when it stopped working, did you go through the steps to configure the backup plan after the update?

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Thanks for your help so far Steve. The problem started before the upgrade on v1.6 and continues on v2.0 even after configuring v2.0 to backup to dvd drive.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:02 PM
  • You're welcome and thanks for the additional information. My guess is it may be as simple as a conflicting program taking "ownership" of the drive or as complicated as a problem with the component in OneCare that does backup.

I've emailed the PM and hope that we'll get some ideas for you of things to check.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:46 PM
  • No program changes after v 1.6 was installed as trial offer or after full subscription purchased. LOC worked better than others for my needs so I installed on 2nd comp. As orig. post everything fine for months. No new programs added or changed. 2nd comp. has no problems with backup to it's dvd drive. -r, +r, -rw. +rw, erased media. After v 2.0 installed comp.# 2 went into 100% cpu usage, since solved, while comp # 1 had no problems. So I have 1 comp. that ran LOC fine for months than stopped backups but accepted v 2.0 and one cmp. that ran LOC fine for months than would not accept

v 2.0. Both XP Home SP2. One note. Comp. 1 the one that won't backup was made hub for second comp the one that had 100 % cpu usage. The solution for that was to uncheck some peer boxes.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:57 PM
  • The backup Program Manager responded after reviewing your posts. Here's what he's asking for:

Generate the support log files after the error message (in this case, as soon as the error message occurs to insert a blank disk) and send it to us.

The log can be generated as,

1.       Go to program files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live

2.       Run onecaresupport.exe – will take about 5 mins

3.       Send us c:\onecaresupportdata.zip

If you could give it a try and create the support data file (more detailed instructions can be found here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2512403&SiteID=2

Attach the zip file to an email message, sending it to wloc@live.com with a subject line of "OneCare DVD Backup" and a link to this thread in the message body.

He also suggested that you may want to try a total reinstall of OneCare. Before uninstalling, make sure that you know the LiveID for your subscription.

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Email with log sent moments ago. Thanks for all Steve.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:08 AM
  • Thanks. Log received and forwarded to the backup PM. Fingers crossed.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:36 PM
  •  FLHX wrote:

Email with log sent moments ago. Thanks for all Steve.

Hi, and sorry for the delay in replying, FLHX.

I received a follow-up request from the OneCare Backup PM.

Could you please try the backup to DVD one more time, let the error appear, give it another disc, let the error appear, close the error message dialog and all OneCare windows.

Next open OneCare and repeat the backup attempt. After clearing the error a second time, create the OneCareSupportData.zip file per the instruction from the 16th of January above. Send the file to me at wloc@live.com the same as before with the link to this thread in the Message body.

Thanks very much for your patience. Hopefully, this will get the information that the Program Manager is looking for to try to identify the cause of the problem.

-steve

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Second file on it's way.  Glad to have your help and hope this might help others.  I can't believe that I am the only one with this problem.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:38 AM
  • Got it and forwarded.

I just read a post moments ago where Autoplay for the CD/DVD drive was the culprit in being unable to backup to CD or DVD from OneCare.

On XP, right click the CD drive in Windows Explorer, select Properties, and go to the Autoplay tab. Scroll the drop down items and set each to "Take No Action" to completely disable autoplay. See if that helps your problem.

-steve

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:32 PM
  • Sorry Steve.  No luck disabiling autoplay.  Also I just checked comp # 2 that will make backups and it was set at prompt each time, the same as the comp that won't backup was.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:08 PM
  • Oh, well, it was worth a try. Hopefully, the logs you sent in will reveal the issue. Thanks for your patience. I'll post back as soon as I hear anything back.

-steve

Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Steve,  that last message should read: No luck with autoplay disabled.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:18 PM
  •  FLHX wrote:

Steve,  that last message should read: No luck with autoplay disabled.

Thanks. I figured that. :-)

I'll report back as soon as I hear from the backup team again.

-steve

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:35 AM