Avast uninstall failed -- Tech support offers no good options RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the free trial of avast for WHS.  When it seemed like the server was running slower, I tried to uninstall it, but the uninstall failed. 

I wrote to tech support, and after 11 days, they wrote back with the following:

[quote]
    Hi,

This problem has two not good solutions:

1. You can use third-party program to make a macro, which will be able manage safe-mode and then use aswClear.exe.
    2. Re-install server from the scratch, image.

Unfortunately there is no other solution.

Regards,

NAME REMOVED
    Technical Support
    Alwil Software a.s.[/quote]

Is there any other solution?

And if I end up doing a server recovery on this EX470, does the cd offer a 'recovery' install to keep from losing my data, or is it going to wipe all the drives in the process?
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:40 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can use the server recovery CD the way you want. The procedure is in the documentation you received with your server. You'll have two options: Server Recovery and Factory Reset. Don't choose the latter; it will wipe all your disks.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:49 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can use the server recovery CD the way you want. The procedure is in the documentation you received with your server. You'll have two options: Server Recovery and Factory Reset. Don't choose the latter; it will wipe all your disks.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Maybe you could re-install Avast, then try and uninstall it again.  Might go through this time.  I un-installed it a few weeks ago without problem on an HP470.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Hi Gai-jin,

There is no problem which does not have a solution. Atleast in the digital world. Its just that a right approach and the right guidance must be taken.

Just because one entity could not resolve it, does not mean no one can resolve your issues. There are other good players in the industry which have resolution to your issues. Anyways. Here are some steps that you may follow:

To completely Uninstall avast! Free Antivirus 7 from your computer, you need to remove the avast! Internet Security (Size, 375.00MB), the Google Chrome (Size, 166.00MB) and the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable – x86 9.0. 30729 .4148 (Size, 10.19MB), which are listed in Add or Remove Programs or Change or uninstall a program (for Windows 7/Vista Operating System). Read more details below.

1. Launch the Change/Remove option for avast! Internet Security item
    2. Enter the Uninstall section on avast! INTERNET SECURITY Setup.
    3. Click on Yes button on avast! Uninstall info box.
    4. You may could send your feedback to avast!.
    5. Save your personal data, restart your computer.
    6. Remove the Google Chrome and the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable – x86 9.0. 30729 .4148.

Do let me know if you face any other problem with your antivirus program or any other computer issue.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:36 PM