Home Server Does Not Appear To BackUp Win7 Computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I installed Windows Home Server SP1 on a spare computer and installed all updates. Ran connection software on a computer running XP Home. I then added a 1TB hard drive to the Server (to make sure there was enough space for backing up my computers). Everything appeared to be functioning correctly. I then performed a full backup of the XP computer. The first time the backup appeared to stop at 17%. There appeared to be no way to determine what was going on, so I cancelled the backup. Tried again and this time the backup completed.

Thinking I was in fat city, I ran the connection software on a computer running Windows 7. Backup ran for 24 hours and appeared to be stuck at 24%. I cancelled the backup and tried again. This time it got to 36%, but would not go any further and I cancelled this backup. I tried once more and decided to just let things run. After 11 days, backup was at 46% and appeared to increase 1% every 24 hours. At this rate, it would take 60 days to backup the system. (Of course, I would not be able to backup any of the other systems during that time.) Microsoft decided to push out an update and remotely reboot the server (!) killing the 11 day old backup, so I don't know if it would have ever completed.

I have not received any error message or code. Display simply says "sending data to server" or something similar.

Why is the backup not completing? Is there a way to view the files being backed up or otherwise monitor what is happening? How do I get the backup to complete and within a reasonable time? Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Saturday, August 7, 2010 2:30 AM

All replies

• Hi!

I installed Windows Home Server SP1 on a spare computer and installed all updates. Ran connection software on a computer running XP Home. I then added a 1TB hard drive to the Server (to make sure there was enough space for backing up my computers). Everything appeared to be functioning correctly. I then performed a full backup of the XP computer. The first time the backup appeared to stop at 17%. There appeared to be no way to determine what was going on, so I cancelled the backup. Tried again and this time the backup completed.

Thinking I was in fat city, I ran the connection software on a computer running Windows 7. Backup ran for 24 hours and appeared to be stuck at 24%. I cancelled the backup and tried again. This time it got to 36%, but would not go any further and I cancelled this backup. I tried once more and decided to just let things run. After 11 days, backup was at 46% and appeared to increase 1% every 24 hours. At this rate, it would take 60 days to backup the system. (Of course, I would not be able to backup any of the other systems during that time.) Microsoft decided to push out an update and remotely reboot the server (!) killing the 11 day old backup, so I don't know if it would have ever completed.

I have not received any error message or code. Display simply says "sending data to server" or something similar.

Why is the backup not completing? Is there a way to view the files being backed up or otherwise monitor what is happening? How do I get the backup to complete and within a reasonable time? Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server?  Have you checked to see if any of your server's hard drives are running in PIO mode?  There are logs on the client at C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs.
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 4:11 AM
  • Hi! kariya21,

Check of logs showed nothing significant. Chkdsk /r not performed - that would require a reboot and interrupt backup (now at 84 hours and counting - 38%). Not sure how to check if drives are running in PIO mode, but with SATA drives connected to a SATA Controller (Add-in) card I don't see how that would be possible.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 5:12 AM
  • Hi! Again,

On reflection, opened device manager and checked each drive. Both operating correctly. No notation that they are running in PIO mode.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 5:16 AM
  • Hi! Again,

On reflection, opened device manager and checked each drive. Both operating correctly. No notation that they are running in PIO mode.

At this point, I think you should abandon that backup (as you already said, it will take many days for it to finish - if it ever does) and run chkdsk /r on each drive (using the link I provided above).
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Hi! kariya21,

I will follow your suggestion. For the record, I think the problem is with Windows 7 or how Win7 interacts with WHS.

--------

I ran chkdsk /r. No problems found.

In checking the Event Viewer, found the following entry (over and over again):

CqvSvc.exe    Exception occurred.  System.Management.ManagementException   Message: Invalid Class.

Don't know that it means anything or is related to problem.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 6:02 AM
  • Which performance has your network connection?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, August 8, 2010 11:11 AM
  • Hi! Olaf,

Not sure what you are asking. I have a cable modem going into a Cisco gigabit router. All computers contain gigabit N/W cards and are hardwired to Cisco router. During the 11 days spent trying to backup the Win7 box, 57 billion (?million?) bits were received by WHS.

Hope this answers your question.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:45 PM
  • In the status of the network connection on each client you should be able to see the real speed which is determined by the OS according to the quality of the connection, the drivers etc.

This can well be different to the official supported speed, if the wire is bad or the handshake between the switch and the client/server is not working properly.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:05 PM
  • HELLO MICROSOFT:

ARE YOU THERE? HOW ABOUT FIXING THIS PROBLEM!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:15 AM
  • On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 04:15:17 +0000, tyrone3a wrote:

HELLO MICROSOFT:

ARE YOU THERE? HOW ABOUT FIXING THIS PROBLEM!

Three points:

1. Please don't yell at us. We can hear you if you type normally, in
    mixed case.

2. No, Microsoft is not here. This is a peer support forum. We are
    all just users of this software here, helping each other if and when
    we can. We are not Microsoft employees (not even those of us with
    "Microsoft MVP" behind our names; that's an honorary title for having
    provided consistently helpful advice) except for an occasional
    employee.

If you want to complain to Microsoft about something, please contact
    them directly. Trying to do it here is just a waste of (figurative)
    breath.

3. WHS backs up all three of my personal Windows 7 machines without a
    problem.

Ken Blake

Ken Blake
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:28 PM
  • Ken:

"We are all just users of this software here, helping each other if and when we can. ... WHS backs up all three of my personal Windows 7 machines without a
    problem."

Hmmm. Glad you don't have a problem. Not sure how that helps anyone (me included). So why did you feel the need to reply?

--tyrone

P.S. According to Microsoft, they monitor these discussion groups.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 5:14 AM
  • Ken:

"We are all just users of this software here, helping each other if and when we can. ... WHS backs up all three of my personal Windows 7 machines without a
    problem."

Hmmm. Glad you don't have a problem. Not sure how that helps anyone (me included). So why did you feel the need to reply? 

His point was probably that it's not Win7 or WHS issue (otherwise, everyone running those 2 OSes would have that problem, myself included, which I don't).  Did you run chkdsk /r on each drive (using the link I provided)?  You need to use the script in that link (otherwise you aren't checking each hard drive).

--tyrone

They may occasionally "monitor" them, but that's not going to help you.  If you want to contact Microsoft directly with your problem, you should file a bug report on Connect.
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:59 PM
  • On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 14:59:51 +0000, kariya21 [MVP] wrote:

Ken:

problem."

His point was probably that it's not Win7 or WHS issue (otherwise, everyone running those 2 OSes would have that problem, myself included, which I don't).  Did you run chkdsk /r on each drive (using the link I provided)?  You need to use the script in that link (otherwise you aren't checking each hard drive).

--tyrone

They may occasionally "monitor" them, but that's not going to help you.  If you want to contact Microsoft directly with your problem, you should file a bug report onConnect <http://connect.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver>.

Yes, correct on both points you made.

Ken Blake

Ken Blake
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Hi! kariya21,

Yes, I did run run chkdsk /r according to the link provided. No problems found. (See Sunday, August 08, 2010 6:02 AM reply above.)

WHS is backing up the Win 7 system. It is just going to take about 60 days (for initial backup of a 500GB drive in a RAID 1 array)! That's a problem - at least for me. If you have not experienced this, I suggest you check your backup(s) by trying to restore to a "new" drive.

Thanks for the bug report link. I have submitted feedback concerning the problem.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:09 AM
  • Hi! kariya21,

Yes, I did run run chkdsk /r according to the link provided. No problems found. (See Sunday, August 08, 2010 6:02 AM reply above.)

WHS is backing up the Win 7 system. It is just going to take about 60 days (for initial backup of a 500GB drive in a RAID 1 array)! That's a problem - at least for me. If you have not experienced this, I suggest you check your backup(s) by trying to restore to a "new" drive. 

I have and it worked for me.  The only difference is I wasn't restoring to a mirror.

Thanks for the bug report link. I have submitted feedback concerning the problem.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:22 AM