Add drives that already have content RRS feed

• General discussion

• After some discussion on another thread, I wanted to ask for a way to add additional storage that already contains content.  With large external USB drives, many people will have hundreds of GB of content already stored to disk - too large to write to DVDs. 

I built a box with 2x40GB drives which is enough to backup the document files.  But all our treasured digitial photos and music is on an exernal 320GB drive.

With the current approach I would have to buy sufficient empty storage and transfer the data over which kind of defeats the point.

Given the responses to the discussion, I suspect I am not the only person in this situation.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 8:55 PM

All replies

• You can add the drive to the server and keep the existing data on the drive and not add it to the pool. If you do eventually want to add that space to the pool you will have to move the data to somewhere else eventually.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:48 AM
  • I posted on the other thread and agree with David. Many people have external drives that are used to backup content. I would like to see a wizard that lets me add the drive and migrate my content with it.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:36 PM
  • I think that this is a great idea, however, because this is not an option right now, I have purchased a 500 GIG SATA by Maxtor from tigerdirect.ca for 150 dollars. Now I can transfer all my files from my 2 external drives to the 500, then clean them off and add them to the pool.

Now that hardware is so cheap, and if people are serious about this product, it will be hard to complain if you have to invest a couple of hundred dollars to your existing 6 year old pc (like mine is) to restore it back to a viable home server option.

Dawg.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:00 AM