Continual notice to renew despite having done so! RRS feed

• Question

• I have to say I am totally and utterly fed-up with Windows Live Onecare and calling 0800 and 0870 numbers to try and resolve the issue of continually being HARRASSED to renew a service I have already renewed and which my account details confirm I have renewed!!

Yet again today I have called numerous numbers given to me, either by email or as a "I'm sorry you've called the wrong number...the one you want is...." in the subsequent phone call!  And one of those numbers isnt even a valid line!!  My patience is now stretched to the limit and still I cannot get this resolved.  I therefore called today to cancel - on a number that had been supplied to me BY CUSTOMER SUPPORT to be told......yes you've guessed it ...... sorry this isnt the number that you want as.. "I cant cancel your account"!!  I have emailed EVERYONE I can think of, including one to Mr Microsoft himself, Bill Gates - although I knew that one would be doomed to fail!  I have called numerous people and had discussions about HOLIDAYS in ENGLAND (and for information - EDINBURGH is NOT in ENGLAND!!!) with someone who informed me she was in the Phillipines, wants to go visit her cousin in ENGLAND and could I recommend somewhere to stay!!?? And even although she probably did mean it when she said "you sound as if you are really stressed, I wish you calm and serenity for the rest of your day ma'am" this "pleasantry" only served to increase the "stress" she detected!  This call alone lasted almost an hour and resulted in.......awaiting someone to call me back. 

Evidently "someone" did call me back - and had the unwavering knack of calling when everyone in the house was either at work or otherwise engaged and when I tried to call back, they were closed!  I therefore asked (by email) to be contacted at a time that was convenient for me - after all it's a bit silly for them to constantly call and me not to be able to answer and FINALLY get some resolution to this problem - they informed me that these times were NOT convenient for them!!!

And may I ask, for a company that is one of the FOREMOST in computing, why is contact by that very media so hard?  AND why is there no protocol for recognising email addressess associated with services (allegedly) provided by Microsoft and ensuring that the data is therefore updated??  Having purchased services from other apparently lesser companies and renewing subscriptions by the wonderful world of internet - ensuring no loss of said service by the mere press of a button - I cannot in all truth understand why the GIANT microsoft cant do the same!!!

PLEASE!  Is there ANYONE out there who can actually do something about this continual problem?  Surely Mr Gates has not built his empire on such shoddy after care?  It appears you have to be a super sleuth to even find contact information in the first place as every link you choose to "contact support" leads you round in circles till you finally come back to the same page!  In fact, the very link on the Live Onecare billing page then opens a side window telling you to " for Windows Live Onecare, go to the Live Onecare page" and on and on it goes!!  The initial page has no highlighted text to show how to get to billing and I personally only found the link by accident while running my cursor up and down the page in despair!! 

C'mon guys!!  This has been ongoing since the beginning of the year!  Someone  PLEASE save my sanity!! 
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:12 AM

Answers

• piperj50 informed me via email that the problem was resolved when she was contacted by support yesterday evening and in the course of an hour, the tech worked on her PC. I have asked Microsoft for an update as to what the root cause of the problem was and will update here if that information is available.
    It is unfortunate that the problem took so long to diagnose and resolve, but at least it has been resolved. The lesson here is that you should request escalation when your support case appears to be stalled.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:55 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry you are having a difficult time reaching support. Send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and I will help you reach support.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:31 PM
  • Thanks One Care Bear. I must have misunderstood. I thought the renewal notices were coming from the One Care GUI not via e-mail.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:54 PM

• Actually HimR1 you are correct.  The renewal message is not an email - it appears with the onecare logo everytime I boot up my computer and has done since the beginning of the year, despite the fact I originally bought paid for the service in December 2008.  The only account I have is set-up through the only hotmail email address I have ever had and the actual billing page of my account states it has been renewed and is enabled.  Payment has definately been made.  I am aware that I am not a computer technician but can quite readily find my way around most sites easily.  However, the onecare site is far more complicated than it needs to be I feel.  If, as you say, this service is to end in 2010, this may explain the less-than-helpful technical support.  After all, why bother helping people who have a problem if the problem will soon go away. 

Apologies for sounding so negative about the matter, but the incompetence I have encountered throughout this matter has left me wary... and weary.

Yours in disappointment

Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:04 PM
  • Sorry that should read JimR1
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:04 PM
  • By the way Onecarebear - I have my spam filter set up already and believe it or not the recent emails I have received from the customer help at Microsoft have all ended up in there - an omen do you think?  And your not-so-subtle innuedendo that I am obviously some sort of fool is unwelcome and quite offending.  Are you employed by Microsoft by chance?
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:12 PM
  • OK, so apparently I misunderstood you. 

NO, I don't work for Microsoft, I'm a volunteer.  I understand that they're confusing to non-technical people, so I'll be much happier when they finally dump the overcomplicated backend that operates the current OneCare product.  It had its purpose with a subscription product, but has ended up being a massive albatross to the operation of what is otherwise quite simple protection at its core.

So, to your 'real' problem.  Since the issue itself appears to be that OneCare on the PC isn't correctly getting status from the OneCare backend servers, there are a number of possible systems involved.  This includes both the .NET 2.0 (now .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1, which bundles 2.0) and also the OneCare program itself.  I tell you this not to confuse, but to let you know why I suggest the following.

Though you could spend hours trying to determine exactly what is causing the issue here, the simplest approach is usually to use the 'hammer' as Steve Boots likes to call it.  In this case, that includes uninstalling both OneCare and/or .NET 2.0/3.5, running the OneCare clean-up tool and reinstalling.  This should remove whatever is causing the issue and allow the program to 'see' the OneCare billing account info properly. My 'gut' tells me its probably the .NET, but that's just a guess, so doing both is most likely to succeed.

As for calling support, you can continue down that road if you wish, but since all they're likely to do is drag you through all the same checks and finally have you do the same thing I just mentioned above, you can make your choice.  This isn't to say this isn't proper support, it's just that they are set up to try the 'simple' things first form a script of possibly dozens, and only when all else has failed, try the hammer. 

Jim knows better the specific steps to the rough overview I provided above, so if you want those, just ask.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:45 PM
  • Onecarebear,

If you do not enjoy answering us mere mortals' queries about the onecare system and technical support - or lack of it - please feel free to tell microsoft.  Oh and feel free NOT to reply to my "ramblings" anymore.  Your technical suggestions are belated I'm afraid, as when I ESCALATED this problem previously I was advised to unistall, use clean up tool and reinstall - all to NO AVAIL.  I would apologise for not making this clearer in my initial email but I really dont feel I need to.  Interestingly, you have - in your own inimitable way - said EXACTLY the same as I have in the last paragraph of your own "rant" i.e. "as for calling customer support.....all they're likely to do is drag you through the same checks.....they are set up to try the simple things first..." says it all dont you think?

Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:01 PM
  • piperj50,
    If you are still looking to work on this problem, please describe the current condition of OneCare on your PC.

1. What is the status of OneCare's tray icon? Green, yellow, or red?
    2. Can you open OneCare to view the main program window? If so, are there any actions listed for you to take?
    3. Assuming that you can open the main window, what shows in the lower left corner for your expiration date of your subscription?
    4. In your computer system tray, right click the clock and select the option to change the date and time. Is it correct - month/day/year, time and time zone?
    5. If you click Help/About in the upper right of OneCare, does it show your subscription LiveID?
    6. If you sign in with this LiveID at https://billing.microsoft.com does it show your current subscription status correctly?

Like Jim, I'm sorry about the frustrations you've faced with support. Based on your subject line of the intitial post, but not knowing any other details about your situation, I can't udnerstand why support hasn't been able to resolve this or why you were directed to other numbers. However, I'd like to try to help or get a higher level of support to follow up with you to resolve it.

One final thought for now, but it is my understanding that support for the EU and other regions is not available via phone on weekends. Email support is 7x24, but phone support has set hours that vary by region. That may be why you ran into such difficulty with your calls yesterday.

-steve
    Monday, April 20, 2009 1:17 PM
  • I just want to note that I've deleted some of the posts in this thread and edited others. The exchange was much too heated, unfortunately.
    I would like to help in any way that I can, piperj50, and will escalate to Microsoft support management, if needed. They are already aware of this thread. If you could provide one or more support case numbers here or via email to me - sboots@mvps.org - that would be great. Additionally, answering the above questions would be most helpful. If you choose to email me, please use OneCare in the email subject line and paste this link in the message body:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/4f89ffe8-45e3-4e44-bd7d-c4db3b6765f6

-steve
    Monday, April 20, 2009 6:58 PM
  • YOU GO GIRL....my thoughts exactly but not executed as eliquently.  I actually paid twice thinking it did not work the first time.  My subscription has been quote - unquote expired since the beginning of the year also.  I often wonder how much money is made by subscribers paying two and/or more times when updating subscriptions.  Millions?  Did you ever get help besides the usual...Did you check the date and time on your computer? Uninstall and run the cleanup tool and reinstall.....oh and the ever so classic......Call customer service.  HA.....that is my favorite.  Have a good day and good luck. :)
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:03 PM
  • Thank you for your support Louise1963.  And yes I have tried all the above - and more lol.  I have to say thanks to most people on this forum for their help and support and I'm very hopeful of getting this problem resolved.  Good luck to you too and if I do get the answer I'll be sure to pass it on.  Keep smiling.

:)
    Monday, April 20, 2009 9:30 PM
  • Just to update this issue - piperj50 has emailed me and I'm awaiting next steps from Microsoft to investigate the problem further.
    -steve
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:47 PM
  • piperj50 informed me via email that the problem was resolved when she was contacted by support yesterday evening and in the course of an hour, the tech worked on her PC. I have asked Microsoft for an update as to what the root cause of the problem was and will update here if that information is available.
    It is unfortunate that the problem took so long to diagnose and resolve, but at least it has been resolved. The lesson here is that you should request escalation when your support case appears to be stalled.
    -steve

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Well Louise1963 - its been resolved!!  And believe it or not, all it eventually took was the re-entering of my personal data in the billing section - no changes, just the exact same info put in again!!  The technician then stopped and restarted Onecare and lo and behold it came up as orange, prompting to configure back-up and with all the correct details on it.  EXCELLENT!  I sincerely hope you get a solution soon too.  And to everyone else on here who helped to get to this point -many, many thanks! 

P
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Amen piper.  You put it well.  I went the same route for hours with spittle at the corners of my mouth I was so crazed.  I finally found an obscure alert in all the mess that said my credit card needed to be updated.  It would have been nice to get an email about that before my live care was disabled.
    JK
    Monday, May 11, 2009 2:57 PM