CRM Outlook Client - Configuration Wizard Error - the request failed with http status 401 unauthorized RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have read so many posts until now but I still getting this error....

I installed the Microsoft CRM for Outlook 4.0 (no offline access), but when I run the configuration wizard I get the error: "The request failed with HTTP status Unauthorized" and after that message I get: "Mandatory updates for Microsoft Dynamics CRM could not be applied successfully. Try running the application again".

I have tried a lot of things right now... 
     - I tried configure the CRM for our URL server
    http://crm01:5555 and the external access https://crm.company.net
     - Made both URLs as trusted sites.
     - I did what I found here:
    http://nishantrana.wordpress.com/2008/11/06/the-request-failed-with-http-status-401-unauthorized-mandatory-updates-for-microsoft-dynamics-crm-could-not-be-applied-successfully/
     - I run the following query on the SQL server:

select NVarCharColumn from DeploymentProperties WHERE ColumnName in ('AsyncSdkRootDomain','ADSdkRootDomain' ,'ADWebApplicationRootDomain') but i the column 'AsyncSdkRootDomain' doesn´t have the crm01:5555 like the other to columns.

My computer has windows vista, Outlook 2007, but my computer is not in the domain. It´s this necessary?

Can anyone help me?

One of my colleague install successfully the Outlook but the Outlook is having so much problems with connectivity I don´t know if this is related with the CRM Outlook installation.

Jessica
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your replay. I know that you are not having this issue anymore (thanks god!!) but I want to share my solution (yes, I have found something that helped me :) ).

As I told you, I had to install CRM for Outlook in several Notebooks and they were going to use CRM from Outlook from inside the company and from outside. The notebooks were not in the same domain as the CRM server.

The first thing to be considered is that the username and password couple for each CRM user, even when they are in different domains, have to be the same. 
    Then, after installing the CRM client and instaling the update rollup 4, you have to save the credentials of the user in the IE. To do that, browse the crm site and when it promts for the credentials (and here relays the magic that saved me), enter the username, but adding the crm server domain to it (CRMServerDomain\username) and password, and select the checkbox to remember the credentials. 
    Following, you have to add the site into your trusted sites in the internet zone section and select not to promt for credentials when in internet zone.
    Finally, you have to run the Configuration Wizard and select install with offline support (this was my case) and then My Company. Enter the intranet url above and the extranet url below. 

With this settings it worked for me not before making me feel stressed :)

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and I hope this info can help anybody.

Ale.

Dynamics CRM Consultant
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Jessica,

You must be connected to the domain when you configure the Outlook client.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, April 3, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Our CRM is a Hosted version so I don´t think is necessary to put my computer in the domain.

Jessica
    Monday, April 6, 2009 5:42 PM
  • I would check with your hosting partner to see why you are receiving an unauthorized response when trying to configure your Outlook client.  I assume you are able to gain Web browser access so it seems that this is a good issue for the hosting partner to resolve.  Thank you
    Best Regards, Donna
    Monday, April 6, 2009 6:35 PM
  • You mentioned that you are using a Hosted version of CRM - in that case, you need to choose "An online service provider" option when running the CRM Outlook Client configuration wizard. Since you are able to enter both internal and external address, it means that at the moment you are using the "My company" option - which is the reason why you get the "unauthorized" errors (since right now it expects you to be joined to the domain the CRM server resides in).

Once you select the "Online service provider" option, it will not matter anymore if you're joined to any domain or now - you will simply need to enter the login/password assigned to you by a hosting partner.

If the Hosted version of CRM you are using is integrated with your company's Active Directory (unusual, but possible), then you will need to be joined to that active directory domain. Or, you can trick Outlook to authorize properly without joining the domain - you just need to create the user with the same name and password as present in the domain. You can check easily if this is the case in your deployment - if, when you log in to CRM using the browser, you are presented with a webpage with text fields asking for login/password, you are using the standard "hosted" CRM (forms-based authentication). If, however, when entering the CRM's address in web browser you are logged in automatically (or you are presented with a standard dialog where you need to enter your active directory username/password), it means the Hosting partner integrated the CRM deployment with your active directory infrastructure.

Kind regards,
      Tomasz

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:51 AM

• I actually tried both options, when i choose "An online service provider" option and on the web Address introduce https://crm.mycompany.net I get immediately the unauthorized error, never ask me for a login/password.

When I log in to CRM using the browser, I asked for my active directory username/password.

Jessica
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 11:05 AM
  • You added the site as Trusted,great
    Open Control Panel
    go to User accounts
    Select Manage Your Network Passwords
    Select ADD and enter your details and the web address.

Try the config wizard again

Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:13 AM

• Hi Tiaan,

I actually did that before creating this post.

We were experiencing some network problems so at this moment I have to wait for some interventions on the network and after that trying again.

I will reopen the post after that.

Jessica
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Hi Jessica, I am in the exactly same situation here. With windows Vista, Oulook 2007, outside the domain but using the Outlook client from the intranet and also from the extranet. I have tried everything that is mentioned here, and more.

I will appreciate any help that anyone could give me and the community. If you already have a solution, please, could you let me know it?

Thank you all,
    Ale
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:23 PM
  •  Hi AlemSam2001,

At this moment i can´t give you any help, i stop this post before some interventions on our network.

Last week i tried again and now the CRM outlook Client is  working.

The only thing i can tell you is the steps that i follow:

1. Unistall all the stuff about CRM Client Outlook (delete the folder of the instalation driver);
    2. Run the setup again as administrator;
    3. Install the CRM Client Outlook (the instalation was almost next, next....);
    4. after the instalation is complete, run the configuration wizard as administrator;
    5. Our Intranet URL was like http://crm:5555 and the external URL https://crm.company.net
    6. The first times i have tried to make login at home por example i couldn´t make it, i found a litlle time after that on the regedit HKEY_CURRENT_USER\_Software\Microsoft\MSCRMClient two entries were missing values (ExtranetServerUrl and ExtranetWebAppUrl)
    7. After that i was prompt for the CRM login window.

Hope this can give you some help

Jessica
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Hi Jessica:

When you say Hosted CRM do mean a CRM with IFD deployment?
    Are you using a proxy on your network?

I have this issue a few days ago with a hosted CRM outside my company using IFD form to authenticate. I resolve it applying this KB

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953890/en

I hope can help

Regards
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your replay. I know that you are not having this issue anymore (thanks god!!) but I want to share my solution (yes, I have found something that helped me :) ).

As I told you, I had to install CRM for Outlook in several Notebooks and they were going to use CRM from Outlook from inside the company and from outside. The notebooks were not in the same domain as the CRM server.

The first thing to be considered is that the username and password couple for each CRM user, even when they are in different domains, have to be the same. 
    Then, after installing the CRM client and instaling the update rollup 4, you have to save the credentials of the user in the IE. To do that, browse the crm site and when it promts for the credentials (and here relays the magic that saved me), enter the username, but adding the crm server domain to it (CRMServerDomain\username) and password, and select the checkbox to remember the credentials. 
    Following, you have to add the site into your trusted sites in the internet zone section and select not to promt for credentials when in internet zone.
    Finally, you have to run the Configuration Wizard and select install with offline support (this was my case) and then My Company. Enter the intranet url above and the extranet url below. 

With this settings it worked for me not before making me feel stressed :)

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and I hope this info can help anybody.

Ale.

Dynamics CRM Consultant
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Hi Guys

I would imagine that the reason youa re having these issues is that your hosted provider has not setup their CRM in IFD configuration.  I have been doing some testing in my own company here in teh UK and have found that if you are not joined to any domain, your Vista machine will pass through the correct credentials for CRM, however if you are connected to a domain (any domain) your Vista machine will try and pass your AD logion details instead of your login details for CRM.

You will probably find that from your machine you cannot run dynamic excel spreadsheets and may have trouble with the DMM due to the authentication issue.

I would check with your Hosted Provider to ensure that they are setup in IFD mode.  You can actually check this by going to the CRM website, and if you are presented with a windows login box, you can guarantee your CRM provier has setup the platform as On-Premise.

Hope that helps

Allan
    http://allanvirtualitbiz.blogspot.com
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Hi Ale,

I´m back to this problem, the situation now is a little bit different so let me explain.

The CRM Outlook Client on my organization is working, so after that I start trying on a different situation.

One of our client has the CRM on a Hosted version, the installation of the CRM are in our machines. I uninstalled my CRM Outlook Client and run the setup again, everything install perfectly so I start the configuration Wizard but in this case selected the option "An online service provider". After introducing the Web Address of the client the problem return....  I get the error: "The request failed with HTTP status Unauthorized" and after that message I get: "Mandatory updates for Microsoft Dynamics CRM could not be applied successfully. Try running the application again".

I follow the steps that you mention but the problem still there, I save the password, I made the URL a trusted site, and on the internet zone, intranet zone and trusted sites I select on the User Authentication the option “Automatic logon only in Intranet Zone”.

I miss something?

Jessica
    Monday, June 29, 2009 11:24 AM
  • Hi Jessica

You have to check if your hosted provider has setup the CRM in IFD mode.  You can check this by going to the CRM url and if you get a pop up CRM box, it means that CRM is not setup in IFD mode, which will mean that you cannot connect via the Outlook client on a Vista machine outside of their domain.

Please check this and let us know what you have found

Thanks

Allan
    Monday, June 29, 2009 12:00 PM
  • Hi Allan,

When I try to logging on the CRM after enter the URL I got a standard dialog where I enter my active directory username/password that I have for that client.

What can i do?

Thanks,
    Jessica
    Monday, June 29, 2009 12:59 PM
  • Hi Jessica

That defiantely sounds like a non IFD installation.  the real solution is to speak with your hosted provider and find out why they are not setup in IFD mode and explain the issues that you are having with Vista and they should if they are serious about hosting, change it to IFD.

However other options you have are:

1. log on locally to your vista machine, Outlook will not try and send the logged on users credentials and you will be able to enter user details

2. use an XP machine, these do not have the integrated security and will therefore allow you to log in

Sorry I cannot be any more help, but it really is a question for your hosted provider

Thanks

Allan
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:50 PM
  • Hi Jessica,

Did you remember to add the CRM server domain before your username? What I mean is that when you open your IE browser and enter the CRM server URL and the credentials pop-up raise, you have to put "CRM server Domain\username" and password, and finally check the remaind password checkbox.

If you had add the URL to the trusted sites list, then if you close the IE and then reopen it and try to access the same CRM URL, the credentials pop-up should not raise again anymore. If this is true, then you should now be able to configure your Outlook client.

Another thing to have into account, is that your username and pasword in your own domain have to be the same as the ones you need to authenticate in the CRM server environment.

If you are still experiencing troubles, then I recomend you to try what Allan says and in the meantime I would try to reinstall all over again but doing a clean start of the installation that includes deleting the CRM application folder in the client machine.

Hope this could help you,
    Ale

Dynamics CRM Consultant
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:41 PM
  • I think that what I recommended early on is going to be your most successful approach in resolving the issues you are experiencing:

"I would check with your hosting partner to see why you are receiving an unauthorized response when trying to configure your Outlook client.  I assume you are able to gain Web browser access so it seems that this is a good issue for the hosting partner to resolve.  "
    Best Regards, Donna
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Hi Alejandro,

Yes I did everything like you explain.

At this time I going to read and understand a little bit more about the IFD and try in that way.

Thanks,

Jessica
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:02 AM