I/O Throttling during synchronization RRS feed

• Question

• Syncing two folders with lots of files requires many I/O operations. Does Sync Framework have capibility of throttling I/O accesses to yeild to other processes so the system remains responsive?
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:22 PM

Answers

• No, the Sync Framework will not do any automatic throttling. The provider would have to take care of that by itself.
    Friday, April 2, 2010 11:07 PM
  • you can probably listen to some of the public events raised by the file sync provider, check disk queue length and yield to other processes.
    Monday, April 5, 2010 1:52 AM

All replies

• Would you be more specific about - to make "system remains responsive"?  What was the exact scenario do you encounter?

Thanks.

Leo Zhou ------ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:43 PM
    Answerer
  • I'll need to support to backup large number of files and folders to an external storage. This operation can be lenghty and involves many I/O operations (for file copying). if the system disk queue is excercised too hard the system becomes unresponsive. Frankly I haven't done too much stress test on Sync Framework, but this is a general problem we've seen using other solutions. So the question is if Sync Framwork considers such issues and provide some manual or automatic throttling on I/O operations.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:59 PM
  • No, the Sync Framework will not do any automatic throttling. The provider would have to take care of that by itself.
    Friday, April 2, 2010 11:07 PM
  • If I'm using  FileSyncProvider as my base class, where are the extension points that I can plug-in the throttling behavior?
    Friday, April 2, 2010 11:10 PM
  • any specifics on the throttling behaviour you have in mind? Most of the FileSyncProvider internals are actually in unmanaged code, so you may not have much option in it other than doing the throttling in the public events available.
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 1:42 AM
  • I want to monitor system disk queue length and temporarily slow down sync process so the system can remain responsive.

Sunday, April 4, 2010 7:21 PM
  • you can probably listen to some of the public events raised by the file sync provider, check disk queue length and yield to other processes.
    Monday, April 5, 2010 1:52 AM
  • I'll give that a try. Thank you
    Monday, April 5, 2010 3:14 AM