Windows Home Server Update Path to "Vail" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I was wondering, does anyone know if there is going to be an upgrade path from the current Windows Home Server to the Final release of Vail ? I am currently running Windows Home Server and absolutely love it ! However, because I love it so much, I have alot of data on my current server.

Is there going to be an easy way for me to migrate my data to the New Version of WHS? I am prepared to rebuild my WHS with better performing hardware, but obviously I do not want to lose my data.

Thanks very much,

Nino

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

I was wondering, does anyone know if there is going to be an upgrade path from the current Windows Home Server to the Final release of Vail ? I am currently running Windows Home Server and absolutely love it ! However, because I love it so much, I have alot of data on my current server.

Is there going to be an easy way for me to migrate my data to the New Version of WHS? I am prepared to rebuild my WHS with better performing hardware, but obviously I do not want to lose my data.

Thanks very much,

Nino

I wouldn't count on it.  The OS is going from 32-bit to 64-bit and DE changed significantly from v1 to v2.  Chances are you'll have to either 1) run 2 servers in parallel and copy and paste from v1 to Vail or 2) remove a drive from v1, connect it to Vail but don't add it to the pool, copy the data from that drive to Vail, then add that drive to the storage pool afterwards.  The best case scenario I see is an add-in which does it for you (but that would still require 2 servers to be running at the same time).
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

Thanks very much,

Nino

I wouldn't count on it.  The OS is going from 32-bit to 64-bit and DE changed significantly from v1 to v2.  Chances are you'll have to either 1) run 2 servers in parallel and copy and paste from v1 to Vail or 2) remove a drive from v1, connect it to Vail but don't add it to the pool, copy the data from that drive to Vail, then add that drive to the storage pool afterwards.  The best case scenario I see is an add-in which does it for you (but that would still require 2 servers to be running at the same time).
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:33 AM
  • Many of us who have bought WHS in the last year have bought 64 bit knowing WS2008 was 64 bit only,

in anticipation of future WHS versions.

It would be disappointing if our treasured WHS backups could not be migrated into Vail.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:23 AM
    It would be disappointing if our treasured WHS backups could not be migrated into Vail.

By design, the backup database is fungible. If something happens to it, you back your home computers up again. And the Vail backup engine isn't compatible with the V1 backup database. You will be starting over from scratch with Vail in that regard.

How I am handling this: As I moved each of my home computers from V1 to Vail, I locked the last backup of that computer just in case (after testing it to make sure I could restore from it). Since I have both V1 and Vail running, that's enough for me.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:46 PM