none
WHS Windows Home Server Connector install error: "the wizard cannot find your home server" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install WHSConnector on XP-SP3 and I get this error when it tries to find the server automatically and also by server name: "the wizard cannot find your home server". I already have three other PCs being backed up by that machine and I want to add this fourth. I have tons of disk space (not relevant of course) and I can ping and unc-browse from the server to and from this workstation so it is booted, it is on the network, and there is a working route between them. I have tried with anti-virus and firewall disabled but nothing changes.

Is there a limit to the number of machines that WHS can support? The error implies that the install script can not find the server but everything else can. Any ideas?
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 11:59 PM

Answers

• Update: I had some firewall exceptions unchecked on the server. The two WHS apps were still checked, as was Remote Desktop and File/Print Sharing. I thought that was all I needed to worry about to make the server sufficiently invisible but remain 'online'. Apparently there was another item in the list that was crucial to WHS ...but nothing seemed relevant.

Anyhow I rechecked all of the apps in the list as firewall exceptions. Now the install successfully completed on the target client. I have no idea which firewall exception item specifically was the problem but it works now. I am also able to connect to the server via WHS console on my other clients.

SOLUTION: Firewall settings were interfering with client access.

• Marked as answer by neverchk Friday, February 26, 2010 12:44 AM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 12:43 AM

All replies

• I'm trying to install WHSConnector on XP-SP3 and I get this error when it tries to find the server automatically and also by server name: "the wizard cannot find your home server". I already have three other PCs being backed up by that machine and I want to add this fourth. I have tons of disk space (not relevant of course) and I can ping and unc-browse from the server to and from this workstation so it is booted, it is on the network, and there is a working route between them. I have tried with anti-virus and firewall disabled but nothing changes.

Is there a limit to the number of machines that WHS can support?

Yes, it's 10 clients.

The error implies that the install script can not find the server but everything else can. Any ideas?
    Can you successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?  Can you run ipconfig /all on a client that does work, the one that doesn't work, and the server, then post all of them here?
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 12:00 AM
  • Yes, I can successfully ping "server" and ping its IP address from the target workstation. I tried the install with-and-without having a line in the hosts file ...these are static IP addresses by the way. Here they are:

WHS "SERVER":

Windows IP Configuration
       Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : server
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-1C-05-2E-FE
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.7
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

TARGET WORKSTATION:

Windows IP Configuration
            Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BUSTER

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-3A-03-8F-B0
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3

EXISTING WHSCONNECTOR CLIENT:

Windows IP Configuration
       Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FILESHARE

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-6F-7A-54-9D
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.11

I'm using VNC 4.1.1 to connect to "BUSTER" because it is a laptop with no screen; could VNC be the problem on that PC?

I use VNC to talk to WHS as well because I used to have a MagicJack plugged into that machine thereby mstsc.exe wasn't an option. Interestingly, for some time now I haven't been able to log in to the WHS Console from any PC except for the server itself so since relocating MJ I've continued using VNC for WHS Console access. All this time the server has been dutifully making its backups and complaining whenever the various antivirus/malware suites get out of date so I've had no reason to suspect it of foul play. Could VNC be a problem on WHS itself?
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:29 PM
  • I added the ipconfig info and a note about VNC (see below).

On a lark I uninstalled VNC on the WHS machine and tried again... no good. I also am still unable to log into WHS Console on the existing clients. I expect the two problems are related. Any help?
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:32 PM
  • Update: I had some firewall exceptions unchecked on the server. The two WHS apps were still checked, as was Remote Desktop and File/Print Sharing. I thought that was all I needed to worry about to make the server sufficiently invisible but remain 'online'. Apparently there was another item in the list that was crucial to WHS ...but nothing seemed relevant.

Anyhow I rechecked all of the apps in the list as firewall exceptions. Now the install successfully completed on the target client. I have no idea which firewall exception item specifically was the problem but it works now. I am also able to connect to the server via WHS console on my other clients.

SOLUTION: Firewall settings were interfering with client access.

• Marked as answer by neverchk Friday, February 26, 2010 12:44 AM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 12:43 AM
  • See the Home Networking technical brief for more information about which ports Windows Home Server uses for various purposes.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 26, 2010 5:33 PM