Remote Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Posted this in another thread but realized afterwords that is is showing as solutioned so not sure if it is being looked at.  There was some discussion with regards to remote desktop and the ability for the average home user to log on through WHS to a PC running XP home, Vista home basic or home premium.  I would like to suggest that Microsoft could look at offering remote desktop as a windows live service which would run with a banner add and allow users with those versions to use this service.  Microsoft could make revenue on the adds.

Monday, March 5, 2007 7:19 AM

All replies

• My view of the target market is that remote desktop either shouldn't be available on WHS, or it should be password protected and used for maintainence by vendors. As I understand it WHS isn't going to be a cheap way to get yourself a Windows 2003 server, it's going to be a NAS device with a fancy client, and for that you don't need Remote desktop.

Monday, March 5, 2007 8:14 AM
  • One of the selling features listed for WHS is the ability to log onto your server from a remote location and also the ability to log on to any networked PC.  However that function is only available if the networked PC is a version of windows which supports remote desktop client (ie. XP pro, vista business or vista ultimate).  My suggestion is that in order to make this feature available to home users using home versions of XP and vista without the remote desktop client microsoft could supply this functionality through a windows live service.  P.S. Remote desktop is part of WHS itself and a user is capable of logging on to it although a warning pops up.
    Monday, March 5, 2007 8:27 AM
  • *EDIT : It's OK, I've found some stuff now*

I'd assumed the connect from remote PCs was via a browser, can you point me at where you've seen the details about the RDC features to I can read up on them.

Thanks.

Monday, March 5, 2007 8:44 AM