Reactivate Lead and convert to Opportunity again creates duplicate Contact.... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. If close an Opportunity set as "Lost" and then later reactivate the Lead and then convert it to an Opportunity again, the contact that was previoulsy created when the Lead was originally converted gets duplicated. Is there a way around this?

Thanks

Friday, February 4, 2011 10:16 AM

Answers

• Glad you've found a solution to your requirement. I didn't want to suggest something complicated that needed some custom development once I found out that your trying to solve an exception for a single user. I just couldn't figure out why you weren't using the standard feature of linking the new opportunity to an existing contact...

Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Proposed as answer by Edwin2win Friday, February 4, 2011 11:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by BillyBoy9991 Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:42 AM
    Friday, February 4, 2011 11:28 AM

All replies

• It's unusual to reactivate and then reconvert and requalify a lead that has previously already been qualified. Is there a reason why you don't just create another opportunity for the contact?

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Friday, February 4, 2011 10:32 AM
  • We have a guy who cold calls and will use Leads (and only Leads) to enter the information. Once qualified, he will convert to an Opporunity and hand over to the Sales Dept. who will then deal with it. If they lose the Opportunity, it will be closed. I have set a Workflow to set the status of the original Lead to "Was an Opportunity - Lost" if this happens so the cold call guy is aware of this. Its then possible he may reactivate the Lead later or indeed generate a new Lead for the same prospect and thats where I dont want duplicate contacts.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 10:43 AM
  • And you've tried asking him not to create a new contact when he reconverts and requalifies a previously converted and qualified lead?

Friday, February 4, 2011 11:00 AM
  • Hi Neil. Thanks for the reply, you put me on the right track. I was always under the impression that you could only convert the Opporunity by ticking Oppoorunity and Contact otherwise OK was greyed out. But if you select just Opportunity and then select the original Contact via the Account lookup, the Contact is not duplicated. Thanks for you help, sorry CRM is new to us and its a bit of a learning curve!

Thanks

Friday, February 4, 2011 11:22 AM
  • Glad you've found a solution to your requirement. I didn't want to suggest something complicated that needed some custom development once I found out that your trying to solve an exception for a single user. I just couldn't figure out why you weren't using the standard feature of linking the new opportunity to an existing contact...

Neil

• Proposed as answer by Edwin2win Friday, February 4, 2011 11:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by BillyBoy9991 Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:42 AM
    Friday, February 4, 2011 11:28 AM