Cannot connect to WHS after replacing router and switch RRS feed

• Question

• Have been running WHS with few problems for the past 2 years or so.  I recently replaced my wired router and 8-port switch (both D-Link).  Switch connections are to WHS, 2 PC's (1 Vista, 1 XP), 2nd switch & wireless router, and 3 separate media players.  Everything except WHS is functioning properly.  I re-booted WHS and the other components of the network, including the modem, router, and switch, and still no luck.  All lights are blue on the WHS hardware, but the icon in the tray on both PC's is still grey and when I try to log on to the control panel, I get the error message that I am not connected.  Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:34 PM

Answers

• If you have tried connecting your server directly to your router and/or to a known good port on your switch, using a known good cable, then the problem is (obviously) on your server. When you say that "all the lights are blue" I assume that means you have a server from HP or some other OEM? If so, try putting the server into recovery mode (consult your documentation for details), then check your router to see if the server's port is active and the server has requested an IP address via DHCP. If it does, continue with a server recovery (not a factory reset), because the problem is in the server's OS, and without KVM ports you probably won't be able to solve it.

Assuming it doesn't request an IP address in recovery mode, you probably have a hardware issue of some sort. In that case, you'll have to contact the vendor (HP, Acer, etc.) for assistance.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by NYDawg Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:06 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:45 PM

All replies

• Perhaps the new router has a different DHCP scope.  Sounds like you might have assigned a static IP address to the WHS and now everything else is on a different subnet.
    If the WHS is getting a valid IP address from the router than you should probably reinstall the connector software.  Maybe the IP address of the WHS is somehow embedded in the connector settings.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:53 PM
  • Can you ping the server by IP address and name? Sounds to me like the settings are not correct in the router, more than likely DHCP related.

Cruise
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Thanks both.  I never assigned a static IP address to the WHS, so agree that it's likely DHCP-related, as I don't think the new router assigned an IP address at all to the WHS.  It just doesn't see it.  I'm at work now, so need to check ipconfig from home tonight.  As is, I doubt I can ping the WHS.  I'm thinking I may need to run the set-up on the new router to remove any existing references to Host and/or Domain names.  I saw that approach in another subject string here.  Will let you know.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Also, be sure to check your cabling.  Did you do something really silly like plug the WHS cable into an uplink port?  If not, maybe the router or switch port itself is bad, try moving it to a different port.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:57 PM
  • Unable to ping, as doesn't seem to have assigned an IP address to the WHS.  Ran "discovery.exe", and the network still doesn't see the WHS.  Also, before originally posting here I double checked all cabling, and tested several ports on the new switch that worked with other network components.  The WHS is plugged directly in to the switch, and regardless of the port, the switch indicator light for that port does not come on. 

Trying to figure out how to get an IP address for the WHS, but it seems like it's got to be the router settings.  Any idea what settings need to be adjusted, or other possible troubleshooting?  The router is a D-Link EBR-2310.

Thanks again for the attention and help.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:42 AM
  • The WHS is plugged directly in to the switch, and regardless of the port, the switch indicator light for that port does not come on.

If that port works with other devices but not the WHS and the WHS won't be detected on any port, then it sounds like either the cabling is bad or the WHS NIC is bad.

The other thing to try is to assign it a static IP address.  I've seen situations where a router just will not assign an address to a device, but if I manually give the device an address it works fine.  One the device has connected with the static address, I can switch it back to getting a DHCP address and it continues to work fine.  For some reason there is a problem with the initial DHCP handshake but after that everything works properly.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 12:28 PM
  • I tried replacing just the cable last night, but same problem persists.  I've got to believe the WHS NIC is OK since all lights are blue, including the network, but that could be a bad assumption.  Is there a way to test that?

I think the static IP approach is a good start, but I can't figure out how to assign it to the WHS without a connection.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:42 PM
  • Either hook a monitor and keyboard up to the WHS and go into it that way or use RDP to access the server. Check the NIC to see if you have the drivers installed (for server 2003 if available) and assign a static IP address.

It's bound to be something simple/overlooked. The other thing you could do is install a PCI NIC and try that. Ken W. likes Intel based NIC's (if I remember right,and he's the guru) that works for me. Also, recheck the cabling andif possible, eliminate the switch and hook up to the router to see if you can get a connection that way,

Cruise
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Thanks, I'll try one or both approaches to see if I can assign the static IP. 

FYI, I did try connecting the WHS directly to the router last night . . . alas, no change as none of the port lights on the router came on either, and no connection to the WHS was established. 

I agree, it is likely a very simple issue, but I keep thinking it may be something in the router settings.  I did not run any set-up on the new router when I installed it - just took it out of the box, removed the old one, and plugged in the new one, along with the new switch.  Everything else on the network immediately came up, and continues to work fine.  Thoughts?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:30 PM
  • If you have tried connecting your server directly to your router and/or to a known good port on your switch, using a known good cable, then the problem is (obviously) on your server. When you say that "all the lights are blue" I assume that means you have a server from HP or some other OEM? If so, try putting the server into recovery mode (consult your documentation for details), then check your router to see if the server's port is active and the server has requested an IP address via DHCP. If it does, continue with a server recovery (not a factory reset), because the problem is in the server's OS, and without KVM ports you probably won't be able to solve it.

Assuming it doesn't request an IP address in recovery mode, you probably have a hardware issue of some sort. In that case, you'll have to contact the vendor (HP, Acer, etc.) for assistance.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by NYDawg Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:06 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Yes, correct, it's an HP product.  All your other assumptions are correct including the cables and ports.  I have the original software, including the recovery disk, so I will give that a try before fussing with anything else.  Will post back.  Many thanks.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:22 PM
  • You might try going back to the old router and look at the settings (if it works) and then see if the settings can be transferred to the new router. It really sounds as if the NIC is either not active or needs drivers on WHS. What is the router brand and model, maybe we can figure it out that way. I have a DLink DIR-655 I use. Has worked flawlessly since the day I installed it almost 2 years ago. It does, however, take some setup to get it to work correctly with WHS.

Cruise
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:01 PM
  • The old router does not work.  the new one is pretty much the same make and model:  4 port D-Link EBR-2310 wired router.   I didn't run the set-up on the new router - just plugged it in.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:23 PM
  • It does, however, take some setup to get it to work correctly with WHS.
    Just curious, if you're not using the remote access functions, what type of setup would the router require?  Shouldn't it just be another network device, like any other PC on the network?
    When I built my WHS, I just did the install and everything worked.  I didn't have to do anything to the router.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:35 PM
  • Is there any chance it could be the firewall? I guess if you're not using RDP, you really shouldn't have to do any setup on the router, but I would try logging into it from a PC to make sure it is communicating with the other devices.

Cruise
    Friday, July 31, 2009 12:09 AM
  • ruadog - There's a set-up disk that comes with the router that I skipped using.  It has some initial setup functions, and I recall seeing in another thread on this forum that connection problems were alleviated by removing the Host and Domain names.  Just thinkng that may help, but since the WHS doesn't seem to even be connecting to the router or switch that it is a problem with the NIC or other hardware issue.  Also, since it's the same router and settings of the one I replaced, and everything else worked, I am going to take a stab at Ken's suggestion on the recovery steps to see if that produces any results.

Cruise - I did turn off the firewall at several points, still without connection.  If the recovery step doesn't help, I may just plug my Vista laptop directly in to the WHS to see if I get a connection (I assume that was your suggestion).

Thanks again to both.  Appreciate the suggestions.

Friday, July 31, 2009 2:19 AM
  • ruadog - There's a set-up disk that comes with the router that I skipped using.  It has some initial setup functions, and I recall seeing in another thread on this forum that connection problems were alleviated by removing the Host and Domain names.  Just thinkng that may help, but since the WHS doesn't seem to even be connecting to the router or switch that it is a problem with the NIC or other hardware issue.  Also, since it's the same router and settings of the one I replaced, and everything else worked, I am going to take a stab at Ken's suggestion on the recovery steps to see if that produces any results.

Cruise - I did turn off the firewall at several points, still without connection.  If the recovery step doesn't help, I may just plug my Vista laptop directly in to the WHS to see if I get a connection (I assume that was your suggestion).

Thanks again to both.  Appreciate the suggestions.

Do the router and switch both work for other things besides WHS?? I would make sure that all other communications, etc work before I blamed WHS or the router. Can two PCs see and talk to each other via the network? Can you access the internet from your PCs? There has got to be a simple explanation for your problems, but we need to know if the router is working first. Tried a router factory defaults reset yet?? Maybe something is screwed up there ( usually its a pinhole pushbutton reset, held down for a few seconds).

Cruise
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:18 PM
  • Yes, everything else is working fine, including accessing other devices, internet, e-mail, etc.

After a bit more troubleshooting, and a call to HP, it's clear that there is a hardware issue, likely the NIC.  One interesting check (at least in this case with the HP Media Smart EX470) is to unplug the WHS from the network, re-boot without any other connections, and if the network light remains blue (healthy), there's defintely a problem because you're not actually connected to a network!  Simple, but effective test for this problem.

Since this machine has an integrated NIC, it look like I need to replace the motherboard, but HP doesn't provide out-of-warranty service, so I need to look around for a service provider, or just replace the WHS completely.  I pulled the hard drive, and need to check to see if the data is OK as well.  Lot's of fun.

Thanks to you, ruadog, and Ken for your helpful advice and assistance.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:06 AM