New PC with Windows 8 - now can't access my MS Money file RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new laptop that has Windows 8 OS (awful).  I successfully installed, from disk, my MS-Money 2005 (US).  I copied my .mny file from the old computer to the new one, in the same folder structure.  When I start up, it does ask for passport info - to my knowledge, I never had one.  It continues to ask for a password, and although at one time, I had one on my MS Money file on my old laptop, I have removed it.  I have entered my MS Live ID password and that doesn't work either.  I'm stumped. 

I see in forums that there's a solution to a similar problem in the UK, but am wondering what a US user can/should do?  I REALLY need this to work, and I agree with others, there's no good substitute for MS-Money.

Any help will me much appreciated.

WJT

Friday, June 5, 2015 1:00 PM

All replies

• See the second, sticky post in this forum and download, save and install Money Sunset.
    Friday, June 5, 2015 5:30 PM
  • Dominic's advice, as usual, is excellent.  If, by chance, you are in the US, and have downloaded US Money Deluxe Sunset, I would also suggest that you have a look at the first sticky in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/money-plus-bug-and-solution-mnyob99dll?forum=money

to download and apply the mnyob99.dll patch.  It's not currently necessary, but it does fix a bug that may re-emerge after a future Windows update.

Also, FYI, the version of Money 2005 that is on your disk requires an online update to function, and the servers that provided that update are no longer operational.  So you can discard that disk, but make sure that you keep copies of the downloaded Money Sunset installation file and the patched mnyob99.dll file.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Friday, June 5, 2015 10:21 PM Clarified
    Friday, June 5, 2015 10:10 PM