Which files does the WHS searchindexer index? RRS feed

• Question

• When I use the search functionality on shared folders, when connected through the internet login, I see that the search tool also searches through the actual content of some files.
    Does somebody know which files are included in the index for full document search? And how can you add a document type?

The reason I ask this is because I scan all my normal mail into mdi (microsoft document imaging) files.(this is better than pdf)
    Now I noticed that WHS search does not find content in these files, while windows XP companion search(default search in Windows XP) does search in these files.

thank you for any help.

Florisz
    Florisz, WHS, XP NL/EN SP3, Windows Media Center, Win7, Pocket Loox with 2003SE and Samsung SGH-i600 with WM 6.5
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For changing the windows search indexing option you would have to go to the Windows Home Sever Desktop and right-click the Desktop Serach hourglass (Search options->advanced). That said I must warn you that going through the WHS Desktop is (1) unsupported and (2) changing any settings or installing applications could do harm to your server and data.

I do not think the search engine will be abled to index .mdi file. It uses special indexing filters (IFilters) to index files and documents. I am not sure if WHS has the proper IFilter installed. And as far as I know only Windows Document Imaging installs filters to index .mdi files. Installing Office applications on WHS is something I would not advise....

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:32 PM