Question about an issue with Streaming from WHS 2011 to the 360 with .avi's RRS feed

• Question

• I have had a brain wracking issue, here is the problem I have issues streaming approx, 700 meg avi files to this Xbox 360

I have tried all of the following keep in mind that these same .AVI files work just fine streaming from WHS to a PC.

And Only these AVI seem to have issues I have re-encoded? one of these to a MPEG4 and it worked just fine it just takes for ever to switch these or to a MPEG4.

The Xbox has the latest optional update patch to play xvids and such

This is a Wireless setup the router is new Linksys E2500 DUAL I have tried turning off firewall,Upnp urned off/on setstatic IP address,

Tried DMZ host port both side 360 and server. twisted permissions setting ensured everything was configured correct

Turned on the Guest profile tried differnt frequency setting for the Channels on the router and still after all of this the .avi issue remains.

Whisky,,,,Tango,,,Hotel Over?

Anyone have any other I deah to try maybe a third party software or somthing I can put on the WHS 2011 that I can use to stream through ?

Any help would be great thank you

• Edited by Dana101 Monday, November 21, 2011 1:45 AM spelling
    Monday, November 21, 2011 1:44 AM

Answers

• I may have found a faster one, well it is much faster but I must test this to see if it is actually going to work

its called simply (avi to mp4) www.convertavitomp4.com it has re-encoded about 10 megs in one minute I will give you an update on if it flops or flys :)

Doing it this fast I wonder if its just Muxing the Containers?

Well in about 30 minutes it converted 715 megs to around 840 megs now to see if it actually work on a 360

Unreal I tested it and it works great I guess I found an answer that doesnt take forever,

NOTE: The interface for this app is not robust at all you have a where to grab the file from and where to put it and a Convert button thats it.

But it seems to work good so I am happy.

Oh yeah and the app is free, even better :)
    • Edited by Dana101 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:10 AM

All replies

• (from another post, but relevant to get videos to stream)

I have battled this for awhile now. I think I *FINALLY* have it figured out. And, for me, it was not WP7 or WHS 2011, but the confusing array of codecs.

Using Handbrake, the magic sauce was to convert to a High profile MP4 video, and use the following overrides to the default settings:

1) Audio needs to be mixed down to be Stereo (not dolby)

2) Checkbox next to "Web optimized" MUST be checked, or else it will not stream.

I tried another tool other than Handbrake, it did not have the web optimized setting and screwed up the interlacing for some videos. Handbrake is the way to go to get your videos in shape. And I've since learned, you MUST store the original MPG full copy of the video somewhere safe, if not on WHS (due to the size) at least somewhere else to let you recode it without spinning discs in and out forever.

I hope this helps others trying to stream videos to their Xbox 360, WP7, and other places using WHS 2011 :>

Monday, November 21, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Rgr that, thank you can you clairify for me when using hand break that this would install on the WHS 2011?

And the other would be that the convert to a High profile MP4 video Took my machine approx 1 hour and 40 minutes to convert 1 700 meg AVI file

I was using WinAVI Video Converter its killing me that it takes this long, 

Using Handbreak this would convert my .avi files or make them functional for the XBox 360  in less time?

Thank you for your Help :)

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 12:11 AM
  • I checked after downloading and its going to take an hour and 28 minutes for one :(

I chose large file for the output along with your settings if I choose something other then large file will it take less time but degrade  the quality?

Thanks again for the help Kevin :)

• Edited by Dana101 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 12:42 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 12:39 AM
  • I may have found a faster one, well it is much faster but I must test this to see if it is actually going to work

its called simply (avi to mp4) www.convertavitomp4.com it has re-encoded about 10 megs in one minute I will give you an update on if it flops or flys :)

Doing it this fast I wonder if its just Muxing the Containers?

Well in about 30 minutes it converted 715 megs to around 840 megs now to see if it actually work on a 360

Unreal I tested it and it works great I guess I found an answer that doesnt take forever,

NOTE: The interface for this app is not robust at all you have a where to grab the file from and where to put it and a Convert button thats it.

But it seems to work good so I am happy.

Oh yeah and the app is free, even better :)
    • Edited by Dana101 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Sounds like it's swapping the container, but alas, that's great that you got it to work! The long encoding time is killing me as well, I was using WinX DVD Ripper which was flying. But, it was flying so fast it would make TV Show based DVDs (kid shows) look like crap with interlaced junk, and the streaming wasn't even an option. So for me, i'm just letting it go all night (and day) now. 
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:05 AM
  • hehe Rgr that :)

Thanks for the Help Happy Holidays

Thursday, November 24, 2011 12:01 AM