Microsoft Claims I don't have genuine Windows 7, but I purchased a kit from them RRS feed

• Question

• At the beginning of 2011 I purchased a computer that unfortunately had an illegal copy of Windows 7 Home Premium installed. I was notified of this by Microsoft at that time.  I then legalised my Windows 7 Home Premium by purchasing a genuine copy directly from Microsoft and followed their update procedure. Everything ran fine until recently when I received error messages saying updates could not be installed as my copy was not genuine. How can I fix this problem?

• Moved by Noel D PatonModerator Monday, November 5, 2012 8:33 AM Not a Vista question (From:Windows Vista Validation Issues (Windows Vista))
    Friday, November 2, 2012 9:59 PM

Answers

• This can happens sometimes - due to a 'race condition', where the Software Protection service is prevented from gaining proper access to critical files to check them.

It's usually caused by Anti-Virus programs (or .NET updates post-installing), and goes away after another reboot.

If it does keep on happening, please run an MGADiag when the notification is showing, and post the result (although there's a good chance that under such circumstances, MGADiag may fix the problem along the way).

There may also be indicationa as to the cause buried in the Event logs - but I have no real idea as to where.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:41 AM

All replies

• To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:32 AM
  • Hi Noel,

Mysteriously the error seems to have corrected itself.  Now Windows runs as normal, without the black desktop background screen and error message in white in the lower right hand corner. I didn't load any software or do anything different. Anyway everything now appears to work normally.  Thank you for the response.

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:48 AM
  • This can happens sometimes - due to a 'race condition', where the Software Protection service is prevented from gaining proper access to critical files to check them.

It's usually caused by Anti-Virus programs (or .NET updates post-installing), and goes away after another reboot.

If it does keep on happening, please run an MGADiag when the notification is showing, and post the result (although there's a good chance that under such circumstances, MGADiag may fix the problem along the way).

There may also be indicationa as to the cause buried in the Event logs - but I have no real idea as to where.

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:41 AM