Printer control won't load RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Am sure I'm not the only one to have experienced this problem.  Have an issue when trying to print from a report.  When you click on the print button it comes up with a message saying something like "Print control cannot load".  Now, I have read articles which provides a solution whereby you install a new version of the Printer Control on to the server and then install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP2 Cumulative Hotfix 3073 (KBID: 954606).  Managed to install the new printer control but when I try to install the other update this is when I get a problem.  The update starts fine but when you get to the stage where you choose which bits of the update to install it displays a message saying the following:

"The product instance SQL Tools has had update 3162 applied.  You cannot install GDR update 3073 overtop update 3162.  An update of build equal to or greater than 3282 should be downloaded."

Has anyone else experienced this and if so then did they manage to solve it?

Many thanks,

Douglas
    MCP, MCBMSS (CRM)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 12:34 PM

Answers

• Hi

Looks like I have found a solution to the problem.  Found the following article on the web which seems to have solved it, although I need to reboot the server to make doubly sure.  Anyway, the article is at the following location:

http://www.technologystudio.net/blog/post/Microsoft-Update-KB956391-breaks-Reporting-Services-ReportViewer.aspx

If you scroll down then there is an article from someone who opened up a support call with Microsoft.

What it all seemed to boil down to was the version of the SQL Server Reporting Services update I was trying to install on the server.  Instead of installing the hotfix relating to KB article 954606 the article mentions KB article 954607 which relates to a later version of the update.  That loaded fine and although we now have to reboot the server the print control was appearing on screen again.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

Cheers,

Douglas
    MCP, MCBMSS (CRM)
    • Marked as answer by Douglas Roy Monday, March 2, 2009 12:15 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2009 12:15 PM

All replies

• I have seen the same error when i was trying to print from a PC where i was logged in with non admin user
    while when i was printing from a PC where i was logged in with user that has admin rights, i was able to print after installing some activex, could it be the same issue?

Amir
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:35 AM
  • Hi

Looks like I have found a solution to the problem.  Found the following article on the web which seems to have solved it, although I need to reboot the server to make doubly sure.  Anyway, the article is at the following location:

http://www.technologystudio.net/blog/post/Microsoft-Update-KB956391-breaks-Reporting-Services-ReportViewer.aspx

If you scroll down then there is an article from someone who opened up a support call with Microsoft.

What it all seemed to boil down to was the version of the SQL Server Reporting Services update I was trying to install on the server.  Instead of installing the hotfix relating to KB article 954606 the article mentions KB article 954607 which relates to a later version of the update.  That loaded fine and although we now have to reboot the server the print control was appearing on screen again.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

Cheers,

Douglas
    MCP, MCBMSS (CRM)
    • Marked as answer by Douglas Roy Monday, March 2, 2009 12:15 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2009 12:15 PM