Site not indexed or crawled recently RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen a few threads on this similar topic, and thought I'd try submitting one to see if I can gain any additional insight. There is a web site we recently launched for a client, http://www.lifeshades.com, which seems to be doing fairly well in both Google and Yahoo! search engines. However, in MSN Live the site is doing extreemly poorly. The site was last crawled on 12/14/2007 and the web master site tools report that only 1 page is indexed. I'm at a loss for what else to try, I've submitted a sitemap.xml file, a robots.txt file, manually submitted the web site to MSN as well as manually submitted the sitemap to the MSN ping service, and also included the MSN validation tag in the META information so that it can validate the site.

Today, the site will not come up under a search in MSN unless you type in the entire URL address, including the "http://www". This makes absolutley no sense to me.

Any ideas on what the problem is or what solutions to try so the site performs better on MSN? Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Friday, January 11, 2008 5:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have the same problem, 2 of my sites have not been visited by MSN since October.

It's a total joke that you have a major search engine like MSN and it's setup is incapable of running over your site more regularly.

Thank god we have google.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Still not having any luck with getting this web site properly indexed in MSN SERPs. I've read and reviewed all of the recommendations provided by the following recent MSN webmaster article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster/archive/2008/01/11/i-m-not-ranking-in-live-search-what-can-i-do.aspx#comments

No luck! Aside from telling the customer to try and seek out some additional backlinks to their web site, I'm at a loss on what to do for them. The fact that the other search engines (Google, Yahoo!, etc.) are treating this same web site just fine in their SERPs tells me that their is not a specific problem with the web site itself.

MSN webmaster tools still tells me it has only indexed 1 page, and has not visited the web site in ages. We post updates to the site content, have a validated XML sitemap, have a validated robots.txt file, and have manually submitted all pages of the site to MSN. Even manually submitted the sitemap file to the MSN ping service.

MSN webmaster help team, what else can I do??? Thank you, Kristen
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:55 PM
  • It would be nice to actually get some feedback from a Microsoft employee. My site http://healthspaguru.com also has this problem.

Everywhere I look on this forum people have this problem and all Microsoft can suggest is the general 'do some SEO' answer. The bottom line here is that google and yahoo are working correctly for all these sites, but Live cannot index them.

I certainly will not use Live until these kinds of issues are resolved as they clearly have half the amount of valid data that other search engines have. Can someone actually let us know what is happening?

Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:47 PM
  •  

I've emailed my site details to the guy from support (after he suggested it).

I'll give it a couple of weeks but don't hold out much hope.

Live isn't a patch on the other search engines because Microsoft are not bothered about Live, if they were bothered, the resource and money they have could easily push them into second position behind Google.

It's simple, if your site is indexed well with Google & Yahoo, indicating 2 out of the 3 main engines see your site as being correctly configured then don't bother with Live.

If I don't get any success this time I'll simply not bother with Live anymore.

My time is more valuable to me than messing about with a second rate service like Live.

Friday, January 25, 2008 6:31 PM
  • I had this problem on my site, eventually (over a month since the last crawl) msnbot did return, and it's now being indexed. 

I have to say, Google and Yahoo picked this up far quicker (within a day) and whenever I make changes they pick it up at a maximum 2 days later.  MSN bot has now taken 30 days!

This is really going to put people off using MSN/Live at all - it would be useful if someone at MSN could give us a definitive answer, I'm sure it's not something we're doing wrong, and if it's a bottleneck at MSN/Live regarding dealing with the number of requests, I'm sure they can afford to buy more hardware/employ more people!

Ruth
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:19 PM
  •  RCheesley wrote:
    I had this problem on my site, eventually (over a month since the last crawl) msnbot did return, and it's now being indexed. 

I have to say, Google and Yahoo picked this up far quicker (within a day) and whenever I make changes they pick it up at a maximum 2 days later.  MSN bot has now taken 30 days!

This is really going to put people off using MSN/Live at all - it would be useful if someone at MSN could give us a definitive answer, I'm sure it's not something we're doing wrong, and if it's a bottleneck at MSN/Live regarding dealing with the number of requests, I'm sure they can afford to buy more hardware/employ more people!

Ruth

Im having the same problem. Only 3 pages are indexed for my blog with MSN. Google and Yahoo has indexed over 100. I submitted a site map to help with the indexing. But the MSN webmaster tools doesn't even indicate if they are using your sitemap. The sitemap submission field just remains open.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 4:38 PM
  • Khilley,

When I look at your site, You are ranking really low.   You are in the index, but given the low the rank if you want to get more pages and crawled more frequently you need to get more backlinks. It looks like you have only 3. 

Read this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster/archive/2008/01/11/i-m-not-ranking-in-live-search-what-can-i-do.aspx

Nothing we recommend will hurt you in the other engines. In fact it will likely solidify your position in the other engines.

Jeremiah

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:13 AM
  • Hi Jeremiah,
    Thank you for your response, and suggestion on what the issue might be with MSN Index results. I've taken action on my end to try and create some additional backlinks to the customer web site, and have advised them to try and generate some backlinks as well.

This site has been doing pretty well in both Google and Yahoo from its launch, which is why we were struggling to understand why it was being treated so different in MSN Live. This helps us to take action and hope to make some improvements for the customer.
    Thanks again!
    Monday, February 4, 2008 4:28 PM